SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ChIP-Seq: Diverse transcription factor binding features revealed by genome-wide ChIP- Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-24-2010 03:53 AM
ChIP-Seq: ChIP-Seq Using High-Throughput DNA Sequencing for Genome-Wide Identificatio Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-16-2010 02:00 AM
ChIP-Seq: Genome-wide mapping of RNA Pol-II promoter usage in mouse tissues by ChIP-s Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-17-2010 02:30 AM
ChIP-Seq: Genome-wide Analysis using ChIP to Identify Isoform-specific Gene Targets. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-21-2010 02:00 AM
Adequate coverage for genome wide pair end sequencing Chien-Yuan Chen Bioinformatics 0 03-07-2009 10:49 AM

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
turnersd

Default What does genome-wide coverage look like for good MeDIP/ChIP enrichment?

I have a MeDIP-seq experiment with inputs and enriched samples for several replicates. I'm not sure if we have good enrichment, so I want to look at the coverage genome-wide in the MeDIP-enriched samples versus the inputs. Looking at the alignments in IGV isn't helpful at the genome-wide scale, so I want to look at a histogram of the number of bases across the genome with coverage 1x, 2x, 3x, ... 100x .. etc. I got this information by using bedtools genomeCoverageBed.

I would imagine such a plot would look like this, where enriched (MeDIP) samples have many regions of the genome with zero coverage, but more reads with very high coverage.

When I actually look at this data, here's what I get (log scale on both axes):

Zooming into the first part of the graph between 1x-100x shows a very slight difference in the distribution. Most of the "lower" curves are inputs, while most of the "upper" curves are enriched samples.

My question is: I'm not sure if I have good enrichment or not - what should this look like for an experiment with good enrichment?

I would have expected a much more noticeable difference between the genome-wide coverage of MeDIP'd samples and inputs. Has anyone ever produced this kind of plot for MeDIP-seq or ChIP-seq data?

If you have aligned data, these plots can be produced easily:

Code:
# Data prep with Bedtools
genomeCoverageBed -ibam sample1.bam -g hg19.fa.fai | grep genome > sample1.coverage.txt
genomeCoverageBed -ibam sample2.bam -g hg19.fa.fai | grep genome > sample2.coverage.txt
# ...etc

# Visualization with R:
# Read in all "*coverage.txt" files into a list
# Collapse them into a data.frame
bigdataframe <- do.call(rbind,  lapply(datalist, data.frame, stringsAsFactors=T))

# plot
library(ggplot2)
qplot(V2,V5, colour=sample)
turnersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
frozenlyse

You could try enrichmentPlot in Repitools - an example using MBDCap-seq (similar to MeDIP-seq) is in section 3 of the manual.
frozenlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
mudshark

a good chipseq expt looks like this using your code
mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
turnersd

@mudshark - thanks very much! it looks a bit different than my own. is this public data or is this your own? what factor were you ChIP'ing?

Thanks.
turnersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
mudshark

its a transcription factor (unpublished).

i was thinking.. did you filter multiple hit reads? if not, these would explain the high coverages in input and MeDiP sample kind of obscuring the 'true' enrichment.
mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedtools, chip-seq, coverage, enrichment, medip