SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why trim low quality reads tahamasoodi Bioinformatics 12 03-06-2013 04:20 PM
Is it necessary to trim the low quality ends before analyzing exome seq data? gary Bioinformatics 0 10-11-2012 07:00 PM
Periodical illumina read length distribution after trimming of low-quality bases luxmare General 4 12-20-2010 03:18 PM
How to trim 454 low quality sequences biohumin Bioinformatics 4 07-13-2010 08:14 AM
Quality trimmming / Mask low quality bases? bbimber Bioinformatics 9 03-25-2010 01:40 PM

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
JonB

Default Illumina RNA-seq: should I trim low quality bases prior to mapping?

I have Illumina sequences from a cDNA sample. I want to map the reads to a reference genome and calculate expression levels. I think I will map using bowtie/tophat.

The adaptors are removed from my sequences, but I wonder whether I need to trim away the low quality bases at the 3'-end of the reads? Or is this taken into account in the mapping?

Thanks!
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
pbluescript

Tophat can sometimes have trouble mapping reads with a lot of low quality bases on the end. Trimming the reads might help with that, but shorter reads are more likely to map to multiple locations. If they are paired end reads, you will need to reassess your mean inner distance. Try it with and without the trimming and see which works best for your data.
STAR is another alignment program you might consider trying that will automatically soft clip bases off a read if necessary to find a good alignment.
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential expression, illumina, mapping, rna-seq, trimming