SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hisat2 file reads don't match up ronaldrcutler RNA Sequencing 19 06-21-2016 11:04 AM
Bowtie1 for ChIP-seq: uniquely mapped reads with up to two mismatches Jerry_Zhao Bioinformatics 0 01-21-2014 07:28 AM
How to randomly remove portions of the raw reads from the FASTQ file choijae3 Bioinformatics 5 01-08-2014 07:27 AM
how to randomly select 20m reads out of a FASTQ file angerusso RNA Sequencing 9 08-15-2013 11:26 AM
effect to variation detection if the reads are not distributed uniformly yuhao Bioinformatics 1 08-13-2012 03:41 PM

Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #1
Mammoth

Default Bowtie1: Reads don't get randomly distributed on direct repeat

Hi all,

I am mapping small RNA sequencing reads with bowtie1.2.2 to a locus that encodes a direct repeat with the exactly(!) the same sequence repeated 19 times. I don't allow mismatches, and ask to get back only one alignment:

bowtie index clippedreads.fq --best --strata -M 1 -v 0 -S | \
samtools view -Sb -F 4 - |\
samtools sort - -o outfile.bam

(or alternatively --best -k 1 -v 0; however, it does not really make a difference in my hands)

A couple of thousand reads are mapping to that locus (all these reads have the same sequence of course), and based on the bowtie1 manual I would assume they are randomly (and roughly equally) distributed across the 19 repeat units. However, what I get is one or two of the repeat units are highly covered, and the rest is distributed as expected (see picture):
repealocus.png

Weirdly, the peak shifts with different libraries, but is otherwise nicely reproducible.
I was wondering what is going on, why the repeat units are not equally covered, or how this can be handled?

Thanks a ton! Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
pmiguel

Looks more-or-less random to me. How many standard deviations from the mean number of hits/repeat are the high and low-hit repeat counts?

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Mammoth

Dear Phillip,

Thank you for your reply. The biggest peak is around 4 standard deviations larger than the mean, the lowest one 2 SD. That seems quite a bit for a random distribution, or not?
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowtie 1.2, repeat