SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Methylation in the + strand influence the expression of gene in the - strand? yao_licr Epigenetics 3 10-22-2015 11:31 AM
bcftools strand bias for strand specific libraries palb Bioinformatics 0 03-04-2015 11:37 AM
Meet Strand at ASHG 2014 and find out about Strandís solutions-Strand NGS,StrandOmics Strandlife Events / Conferences 1 10-21-2014 02:30 AM
Does Strand-specific RNA-seq mean reads from one genome strand? shangzhong0619 RNA Sequencing 4 06-16-2014 12:56 AM
tophat strand info? frankyue50 RNA Sequencing 2 03-31-2011 11:51 PM

Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
kostask

Default Strand info, SNPs

Hello,

I am performing an analysis for SNPs in Galaxy UCSC, using the tools mpileup (to generate pileup from bam files) and Varscan (to generate vcf from pileup files).

Although the programs work fine, I haven't been able to find a way to add the column with + and - at the final vcf file, in order to show on which strand does the reported reference base and alternative base belong.

Is there a step before the analysis or after (etc the annotation) from where I can extract this information?

Kostas
kostask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
SylvainL

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand... Normally, in SNP analysis, the reported SNP is always according to the reference (meaning strand +). Then, if you want to know what is the impact if it concerns a coding region, you have to do the translation yourself (meaning then you have to know on which strand the SNP will have an effect).

Except if you did your SNP calling on transcriptome reference (but then, the strand will be the same as the sequences you used as reference).

s.
SylvainL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
kostask

Actually I used RNA-seq data and I performed the SNP calling step on human genome version hg19.

No it returns both + and - strand since it usually contains reads corresponding to both orientations.
kostask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
SylvainL

I really don't catch it. SNP calling will tell you if the sequence of your read differs from the reference... If you use the genome as reference, it's the base of the genome (then always strand +) which will be used as reference...

The strand your read is mapping is not important, as the fact you use RNAseq (except that the probability of a SNP in coding regions is smaller). With DNAseq you also have reads mapping on both strands...

If you have an example of a SNP reported on the strand -, I would really be happy to have a look at it.
SylvainL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galaxy, snp analysis, strand information