SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Covaris shearing of cDNA microgirl123 Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 07-02-2013 11:45 AM
Shearing Chromatin using Covaris Bonn Sample Prep / Library Generation 15 08-21-2012 10:28 AM
ChIP - shearing with the Covaris S2 ETHANol Epigenetics 2 08-09-2012 11:47 PM
covaris shearing range chaos81 Illumina/Solexa 1 08-14-2011 05:20 PM
Shearing Amplicons with Covaris lzembek 454 Pyrosequencing 1 01-05-2011 08:34 AM

Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
microgirl123

Default ds cDNA shearing on Covaris?

I've asked this before but I'm wondering if anyone has any new information or experience! I've gotten variable answers from Covaris tech support, different tech support people for our Apollo robot, and Illumina. As usual, the answer seems to be that we need to have tons of extra sample to test different Covaris settings on, and I just don't have that option.

Since cDNA is already shorter than genomic DNA, do the Covaris settings have to be adjusted to end up with properly sized DNA? I'm trying to end up with a peak ~220 bp.
microgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
NextGenSeq

No you use the same settings as for genomic DNA. We do this all the time.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
microgirl123

Thank you! It's good to hear from "real-life" people rather than tech support. I love our Covaris, but it's really hard to adjust the settings if you don't have lots of extra sample to play with (and money for the tubes and BioAnalyzer chips to look at the shearing).
microgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
adam.geber

I just did several days worth of validation of the standard Covaris gDNA protocols for use with a set of cDNA fragments (1-3kb) and found that a) time is the only variable worth manipulating (i.e. simply pick a protocol and tweak the treatment time until you have an acceptable distribution of fragment sizes) and b) the final distribution is heavily dependent on the size distribution of your input sample. I ended up sonicating until my amplicons were thoroughly fragmented and followed up with an AMPure bead purification to put a consistent lower bound on my fragment sizes -- I imagine you could do the same if you're getting ready for an Illumina run.
adam.geber is offline   Reply With Quote