Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covaris FFPE extraction Kit using AFA tubes?

Hey has anybody tried the new Covaris kit for DNA extraction & purification with the AFA tubes? Any luck?

They use AFA to dissociate the paraffin, instead of xylene, followed by protease K and RnaseA digestion. After this, one can proceed to purification with a column. Covaris claimed that very large DNA fragments could be obtained by this method, peaking at 8kb.
    Alternatively, following the digest, one can shear the DNA directly in the same AFA tube to 200-400bp, and then purify. Samples are ready for NGS sample prep.

This seems tempting because we have been using the traditional method to extract DNA with xylene. Gel/bioanalyzer show that DNA is highly fragmented (as everyone else is observing), being a smear ranging from 800 to very short. It would be nice to omit the harsh organic steps to get more intact DNA.

I'm also interested! Did you have the chance to test this system?

Comment

I have been using the kit for about 6 months and it seems to work well. The protocol is fast and limits the amount of heat needed by only heating up for the ProtK treatment (compared to other preps i.e.: qiagen, etc… with require 2+ hours in a heat block for de-paraffinization and protK

Overall i am very pleased! As a side note - the prep results in total nucleic acid, so you can treat half with Rnase and the other half with DNase if you want DNA and RNA.

Comment

Thank you so much for your answer! Sounds good...

just two more questions:

- what about the yield? comparable/lower/higher than qiagen?
        - about the workflow: the system seems to use kind of tiny microtubes and caps. I was just wondering if those are practical to work with when one has a lot of samples to process?

Thanks again!

Lotte

Comment

Hi,

One of the reasons we moved forward with Covaris was the higher yields for both DNA and RNA. (Compared to qiagen all prep FFPE; Kapa Express extract and 5 other kits we tested. The only thing I would worry about would be losing miRNA in a column cleanup etc… That can be easily remedied if you are looking at miRNA, just split the sample after ProtK, DNase treat half and run the sample through a RNAeasy qiagen column at the end.

Side note*: RNA yield was higher than DNA yield not matter the extraction type which makes a lot of sense.

Hope this helps.

Best,
          Frank

Comment

Originally posted by lomoens View Post
            - what about the workflow: the system seems to use kind of tiny microtubes and caps. I was just wondering if those are practical to work with when one has a lot of samples to process?
            The tubes are easy to work with. If you have a lot samples you can use E220 or LE220 systems which can process batch of 96 samples individually or in a group of 8, respectively. Here is a link to their web page: http://covarisinc.com/products/afa-u...tion/l-series/

Comment

We use the LE220 and can run 24 samples at a time. The tubes are larger than regular shear tubes, so the adapter plate can only handle 24 per run. Not too bad to work with the tubes since they have stoppers and can be labeled upfront. Columns are never fun when working with tons of samples, but the extraction could probably be automated to some level if you want to spend the time and money. I think it is far more user friendly and much less complicated than the competition (plus it minimizes damage by deparaffinizing without adding additional heat).

Comment

Siemens TPS vs Covaris LE220

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience using either the Covaris LE220 (truXTRAC workflow) or the Siemens TPS system for automated DNA (or RNA) FFPE extraction? Any advantages to one over the other? It seems like the Siemens has been out for some time vs the covaris application. My application is for targeted NGS oncology testing
                Thanks very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses