Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make .bam file to .bai file format under MS Window7 operating system?

Hello dear!
    I have a illumina Miseq instrument, and have several data already aligned, that file format is .bam.
    But I can't use Linux operating system, I have MS window7.
    I have to create .bai file for CNV analysis.
    Please answer me what is best program make the .bai file from .bam file.

Download and install CYGWIN ; include the gcc package when you install CYGWIN.

Compile samtools under cygwin.

Run samtools in cygwin command prompt shell.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

But.. I don't know how to use Linux, Unix language... T.T
      In Korea, many people don't know that language.
      Can you recommand another way? Sorry...

Comment

The picard tools utility BuildBamIndex can be run on Windows if you have java installed.

Comment

Thx for the suggestion dcameron. Now picard is here at github and I used this command:
          java -jar picard.jar BuildBamIndex INPUT=URL/File-Link-to.bam OUTPUT=Name-for.bam.bai
          So far by creating the BAI out of BAM over HTTP I have the problem that some work for example in IGV and some not. The not working files are smaller then the working ones. I don't know yet if the BAM files are corrupt, the HTTP connection is problematic or just Picard on my system does not work flawlessly.
          Last edited by ChrisRalps; 11-20-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

If everything else fails, you could grab an Oracle VirtualBox, install a userfriendly linux flavour, face your fears and use samtools.

I do not consider myself a penguin lover, but when it comes down to NGS analysis, the power of the linux shell, perl and easy access to standard tools the community is using quickly becomes a necessity.

Comment

In the past I already did use successfully samtools both in VirtualBox and in the Ubuntu flavor I like (Lubuntu). So this would be not the problem. I currently just have no powerful system for VirtualBox and can't install another OS. I hope in some weeks I will get my working PC. Will see if I can solve my problems with the Picard/HTTP/Win7 package before.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses