SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bowtie Output Information psurana Bioinformatics 6 02-18-2015 08:34 AM
what does this bowtie error information mean? zxybl Bioinformatics 4 01-18-2013 05:16 AM
tophat + cufflinks: strand information Zimbobo Bioinformatics 29 04-20-2012 01:35 AM
Re-write strand information in BAM file droog_22 Bioinformatics 1 11-07-2011 04:25 AM
which one indicate strand on bowtie outputs? tujchl Epigenetics 3 03-23-2011 06:20 PM

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Zimbobo

Default Bowtie, BWA, strand information

Hello there,

I use Bowtie to map RNA-Seq reads to an algae genome. When I look at the read coverage for + and - strand separately I notice that there is expression on both strands in about the same places. That would be pretty efficient use of the genome. So I was wondering whether anybody has any experience with this and can tell me how reliable the +/- strand information from Bowtie is.

I cross checked my results with BWA, the results are very similar.

There is still the possibility that I mis-interpret the strand information in the sam output files.

Thanks in advance.
Zimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Adrian_H

Default re: Bowtie, BWA, strand information

There shouldn't be any problems with the strand information. Have you tried aligning the reads in question with another tool (like BLAT) that lets you see all possible alignments? Might help you see better what is going on.
Adrian_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Simon Anders

Hi Zimbobo

Just to make sure: You do know that Illumina's standard RNA-Seq protocol is not strand specific? (The strand that the aligner reports only informs you which end of the fragment you have sequenced, not, which strand it originally came from.)

Assuming that you used one of the newer strand-specific RNA-Seq protocols: What is the ratio of the expression strength on the sense vs the antisense strand? There have been several recent publications indicating for various species that many loci are transcribed in both directions, with the antisense one (in case of ORFs) maybe having regulatory function. (See e.g. Xu et al., "Bidirectional promoters generate pervasive transcription in yeast", Nature, 2009, PMID 19169243). Maybe you observe something similar with your algae.

Simon
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
damiankao

On a related question. I have ABI SOLiD data where the strandness is kept. If I do map with bowtie, I would have to use the parameter --nrc to make it not map to the reverse complement?

The sequence of the reads should be the sense strand, so I would want to have it mapped to the forward strand, and not reverse complement?
damiankao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Simon Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiankao View Post
On a related question. I have ABI SOLiD data where the strandness is kept. If I do map with bowtie, I would have to use the parameter --nrc to make it not map to the reverse complement?

The sequence of the reads should be the sense strand, so I would want to have it mapped to the forward strand, and not reverse complement?
No. If the read is from a feature on the '+' strand, you want it mapped to the '+' strand, and if it is from the '-' strand, you want it mapped to the '-' strand. Hence, you do want Bowtie to look at the reverse-complement ('-' strand), too, i.e. you should not use the '--nrc' option.

Simon
Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
damiankao

I see. So Bowtie will keep strandness and map the read as it is? It won't try to map its reverse complement?

**edit
I just realised the error in my logic. I guess if it tries to also map the reverse complement of the read, the sam output would have duplicates of every mapping, one on the + stand, and one on the - strand.

Last edited by damiankao; 04-24-2010 at 09:29 AM.
damiankao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Simon Anders

Of course. The read stays as it is. Th e'--nrc' option is about whether the reference should also be looked at in reverse.