Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annotating a novel transcriptome

I am trying to annotate a novel transcriptome, which will then be used to compare expression levels between individuals and tissues. I have CLC genomic workbench and what I was doing is blasting subsets of my assembled illumine transcriptome to figure out what I have. However, there seems to be some trouble with this. 1) its super slow 2) When blasting chunks, it almost always partially fails and does not give back hits(or saying it can't find any) for a number of sequences. Even when I re-blast these pieces, I get different numbers of blast hits back.

I'm not sure if this crappy blasting is the result of NCBI or CLC, but either way, its not really acceptable if I am not getting back results. I could individually blast each of the contigs to ncbi to figure out what they are, but considering i got over 24,000 sequences to blast, I was hoping their would be a better way.

Also, is there I way to remove singletons from my assembled contigs? I am guessing I don't want to annotate these guys.

Assuming this had all worked, I could have used blast2go and set up everything that I wanted I think...

So, what would be the best way to annotate my novel genome? I have been trying to figure this out, but its being very difficult for me and causing me a lot of frustration. I got no one in my department who can help.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by michael-steffen; 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM.

Have you resolved this problem? If not then you might consider our annotation service www.fastannot.com. It is not free, but it is not too expensive either. Annotating against nr is a big task. If you did solve your problem already, would you care to share how you did it?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses