Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xi Wang View Post
    According to SAM manual, the column 5 is for mapping quality. I just refer to this column as mapping quality, and I think the two - "alignment score" and "mapping quality" - are the same.
    Alignment score and mapping quality are not the same. The former is a measurement of the distance (or log-odds see:BLOSUM) between the observed sequence and reference sequence while the latter is generally the Phred-scaled probability of mismapping. In the SAM format, the alignment score can be stored in the "AS" tag while the fifth column is the mapping quality.

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply. I was referring to the 5th column. It IS the mapping quality according to SAM manual. But I guess this mapping quality must be correlated with alignment score for some way.

I have seen a lot of alignment with low mapping quality (0 or 1). For the input of cufflinks, do you usually filter out these low quality mapping reads? what is the cutoff you usually use?

Thanks

Originally posted by Haneko View Post
      Hi there,

That is actually not the score, but the mapping quality (I'm assuming you're referring to column 5 for 255 "score"). For calculation of score, you will have to take the alignment in colorspace (XL:Z) and the number of colorspace mismatches (XU:Z), then use SOLiD's formula.

A score of 10 shouldn't be appearing in the output. The seed of 25bp mapping with at most 2 mismatches will give u the lowest possible score for an alignment to be reported, which in my case is 18.

Comment

Hi clariet,

Actually I've never considered this column to be a factor in filtering, so i can't give you a definite answer. But I think it'd be good to filter away those low quality mappings, perhaps someone could give a recommendation on the threshold?

Comment

I am also ready for analysis of AB solid data with TopHat and later Cufflinks, hope for successful example here

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses