Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adaptors and primers Nextera kit: modified or not?

Hi,
    I am using Nextera XT kit from Illumina but tried to order the adaptors from another vendor, since the sequence is disclosed. Unfortunately, I get sub-optimal results due to accumulation of primer dimers after enrichment PCR.
    I then ran a Bioanalyzer to compare the adaptors from the XT index kit with my (unmodified) adaptors and found out that the Nextera´s migrate as a fragment ca. 10 bp slower than the others. Obviously, they must be modified (blocked) somehow to prevent the formation of concatamers/dimers.
    Furthermore, I was also wondering if anybody has ever noticed an interesting difference between the Nextera and the Nexetra XT kit. In the Nextera kit there was a tube of "PPC" (PCR Primer Cocktail) to add in the 4-primers enrichment PCR after tagmentation. In the Nextera XT kit this tube doesn´t exist anymore. Is the PPC included in the PCR master mix? Or it´s not necessary, since the sequence of the 2 primers contained in the cocktail is the same as the 5´-end of the i5 and i7 adaptors?
    thanks for sharing your comments and opinions!

Hi!
    I do not have any experience with the Nextera kits, but I have been using the ChIP TruSeq kit. In this one the adaptors are modified for sure, and I think I managed to find the modifications anywhere. However, when I then wanted to order such modified oligos the price mounted up to only a bit less than the kit. Therefore I bought the kit, and I am very happy with it

Comment

Simone, I'm super grateful and using the homemade tn5 from your paper. However, using unmodified oligos, I'm having a similar problem to the one you describe above. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by devdoot View Post
        Simone, I'm super grateful and using the homemade tn5 from your paper. However, using unmodified oligos, I'm having a similar problem to the one you describe above. Any advice?
        Hi,
        I am not 100% sure but I think that the Illumina adaptors have a biotin at the 5´-end. We don´t buy our own adaptors anymore but just order those from Illumina. We never tagment more than 100-200 pg/sample and therefore don´t need to use them as they come but we rather dilute them 1:5. In this way they last quite long. Besides, the cost of these adaptors is extremely low compared to the cost of the Nextera kits.
        /Simone

Comment

Furthermore, I was also wondering if anybody has ever noticed an interesting difference between the Nextera and the Nexetra XT kit. In the Nextera kit there was a tube of "PPC" (PCR Primer Cocktail) to add in the 4-primers enrichment PCR after tagmentation. In the Nextera XT kit this tube doesn´t exist anymore. Is the PPC included in the PCR master mix? Or it´s not necessary, since the sequence of the 2 primers contained in the cocktail is the same as the 5´-end of the i5 and i7 adaptors?
          The obvious difference is input amount and application. As you have noted PPC is pool of primers complementary to P5 and P7 flow cell binding region and is used in other Illumina kits such as DNA and RNAseq as well. It is necessary for Nextera DNA because the input is 50x more than XT and concentration of N5/S5 and N7 is not enough for optimum amplification of 50 ng input. PCR master mix for both kits is identical.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
            The obvious difference is input amount and application. As you have noted PPC is pool of primers complementary to P5 and P7 flow cell binding region and is used in other Illumina kits such as DNA and RNAseq as well. It is necessary for Nextera DNA because the input is 50x more than XT and concentration of N5/S5 and N7 is not enough for optimum amplification of 50 ng input. PCR master mix for both kits is identical.
            Instead XT, we have Nextera DNA kit in our lab, however, we have very small amount of start material (For RNAseq). Any idea I could use Nextera DNA staff in our smartseq2 experiment?

Thanks
            Last edited by jingler; 07-28-2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

SMARTseq yield will be too low for standard or scaled down Nextera.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
                SMARTseq yield will be too low for standard or scaled down Nextera.
                yes, unfortunately it´s like that. Tagmentation <1 ng DNA input doesn´t work very well with the Nextera kit.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses