Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAP3 parameters

Hello, I'm trying to use cap3 to assemble a number of long (>1kb) sequences with short primer
    sequences that are typically 16-30 bp in length. I have tried many variations of the cap3
    parameters and I either get the primers assembling together into contigs, or the longer
    sequences assembling. Is there any way to relax the stringency of the cap3 parameters,
    so that everything assembles?

If cap3 is not capable of doing this, are there other command line assemblers that can
    assemble from a multiple FASTA (without associated .qual files)??

You could use a program like SEQClean to remove the primers from your sequences. This should increase the quality of your assembly.

Comment

I am afraid you misunderstood the question - I should probably have been more explicit.
      I have multiple 500bp - 1kb sequences AND short 15-30bp Primer sequences in FASTA format which I would like to assemble together into a contig, so I can see where my
      primers are located within the contig.............

Comment

Your question does not make sense.

If you want to know where your primers would fit on your sequences, then you need to BLAT/BLAST/Some-Alignment-Tool them. This is not an assembly problem, and CAP3 is not the tool for the job.

Comment

I want to generate an .ace assembly file or alignment file, so I can
          see where my primers align with respect to the longer dna sequences.
          There will be snps present and I wanted to be able to examine where
          the primers are located compared to snp positions (and hopefully parse
          this data). I find it hard to believe that there isn't a command line assembler
          that can do this, after all I can assemble long reads and primer sequences
          in Sequencher and DNAstar. There must be a way of relaxing parameters
          sufficiently in cap3 or phrap to allow assembly of 1kb+ sequences and
          short 14-30bp sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by BOYD View Post
            I find it hard to believe that there isn't a command line assembler
            that can do this,
            What you want to do is not what assemblers are meant to do, so it's not surprising that none of them behave as you expect them to. Assemblers are meant to assemble genomes/transcriptomes out of similarily sized reads. Aligning primers to long reads is not part of their feature list.

What you should do is assemble your long reads (preferably with an assembler that detects SNPs, like MIRA) and then align your primers with another software like BLAST.

Comment

Hi,

you may try DNAStar. It should work for you but it is a commercial software. (I am not affiliated with it).

Douglas

Comment

Finally managed to do what I wanted using Phil Green's phrap assembler, and
                relaxing the parameters, which were:

-default_qual 1
                -forcelevel 10
                -minmatch 14
                -minscore 10
                -force_high

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses