No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Mac on Windows or Get Windows Laptop

Hello,

Should I go with a running Windows on my powerbook or just get a windows laptop? I am leaning towards just getting a windows laptop. Considering that I am doing nextgen analysis and teaching a course in it where students have macs and PCs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mgavi

Hmm that is a can of worms ...

If you can live with slightly reduced battery life in windows (I do not think the windows drivers supplied for the Mac hardware are as efficient) then you could do bootcamp and have best of both worlds. If you have enough RAM then you could also go the fusion/vmware VM route.

You do not say if you are actually using the laptop for doing analysis or just using it to access a server/cluster.

Comment

Virtual machine or PC

Hi GenoMax,

I am using my macbook pro for analysis. As it is mapping reads takes awhile with 4gb of ram.
      Lsbrath

Comment

Perhaps the better option would be to invest money in more memory for the Macbook. Upgrade to 8GB should be in the $30-40 range (tons of deals around) or if your Macbook pro can go up to 16GB then you could consider that possibility.

With more RAM you can definitely run windows in a VM when needed.

PS: If you are intending to set the Macbook aside purely for analysis and use an inexpensive windows laptop for routine tasks ......

Originally posted by lsbrath View Post
        Hi GenoMax,

I am using my macbook pro for analysis. As it is mapping reads takes awhile with 4gb of ram.
        Lsbrath

Comment

The problem is that my students with PCs have been having some trouble. Not just in this class but also in the Perl BioPerl course. I figured that it would be easy just to have a inexpensive PC laptop to check and grade their code.

Comment

I don't know that much about it , but macbooks can boot "windblows" ...

I'd personally require Linux; which is also do-able, and you can triple boot to keep your OSX and Windows ... (via google "macbook triple boot")...
            Installing and running Windows on Mac is not only possible but also quite easy—especially if you follow our instructions.
            Last edited by Richard Finney; 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I use VirtualBox running Windows 7 on a Mac daily. Works great, as long as you aren't doing anything particularly CPU intensive (and definitely not graphics intensive).

Comment

Thanks ECO! NGS analysis can be CPU Intensive.

Comment

Have them get AWS accounts.

Comment

Try Linux ^^
                    Francois Sabot, PhD

Be realistic. Demand the Impossible.
                    www.wikiposon.org

Comment

Originally posted by lsbrath View Post
                      The problem is that my students with PCs have been having some trouble. Not just in this class but also in the Perl BioPerl course. I figured that it would be easy just to have a inexpensive PC laptop to check and grade their code.

Or you could just give them all A's and spend your time doing something more interesting.
                      --------------
                      Ethan

Comment

I use cygwin on windows often. Perl isn't for kids IMO, better teach them C or C++. They can pick up Perl by themselves with a man page and a wiki.

Comment

Not all of them will.

Everyone's brain is wired differently. Some "get" the logic/language right away (and those would fall in the category you describe below) where as for others it is an uphill slog, no matter what.

Originally posted by rskr View Post
                          Perl isn't for kids IMO, better teach them C or C++. They can pick up Perl by themselves with a man page and a wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                            Not all of them will.

Everyone's brain is wired differently. Some "get" the logic/language right away (and those would fall in the category you describe below) where as for others it is an uphill slog, no matter what.
                            If they know how to program in C then they get the logic, therefore they can do it. The problem with teaching Perl is that it is heavily dependent on external libraries, so as the thread starter has noted getting people to use Perl or Bioperl on any given platform is difficult, likewise Perl means different things to different people and teaching that is also difficult. In general Perl is not a well defined language, therefore not really suitable for academic training. Though it may be suitable for trade schools or on the job training type courses.

Comment

My comment was targeted about programming in general (should have made it clearer). It was not directed at a specific language.

I am with you on the observation below.

Originally posted by rskr View Post
                              If they know how to program in C then they get the logic, therefore they can do it. The problem with teaching Perl is that it is heavily dependent on external libraries, so as the thread starter has noted getting people to use Perl or Bioperl on any given platform is difficult, likewise Perl means different things to different people and teaching that is also difficult. In general Perl is not a well defined language, therefore not really suitable for academic training. Though it may be suitable for trade schools or on the job training type courses.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses