Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacbio sequel for single cell human WGS?

Hi @all,
    we are currently struggling with pros/cons of buying a PB sequel vs ONT Promethion for our analyses (human de novo single celll WGS). Ideally we are looking for something with which we can analyse structural variants and SNPs (so something with ~100Gb+ (>30x) output).
    Unfortunately, we're getting extremely diverse information about the specifications of the two systems. Hence, I'd like to ask users of each system for info on their experience (I have therefore a similar post in the ONT forum).

My information on the sequel so far:
    1) Accuracy of >99.999%
    Is this a consensus acc from assembly/mapping? As this would be coverage dependent, it is meaningless for me... What about individual read (CCS) accuracy? I know there is something mentioned on the PB website, but I don't really understand their graph http://www.pacb.com/smrt-science/smr...cing/accuracy/

2) Output of ~5Gb per SMRT cell / ~800€ per SMRT cell run
    So, I would need ~20 SMRT cells / genome => ~16k€ / genome? However, I have heard from colleagues who tested the system that a cost of 30-40k€ / genome would be more realistic for our aims?!

3) Price ~350k €
    Is installation, training, etc. included? Or any consumables?

4) Waiting for deliverables
    Some colleagues told us that they are waiting sometimes for month to get deliverables (esp. chips seem to be a problem)

I would be grateful for any information on any of my four points.
    Thanks!

1) Accuracy of >99.999%

- Yes this will be consensus accuracy at depth.

- That's about what we're seeing. Without going too far into pricing, the costs are going to be much higher per cell/run with consumables, labour etc.

3) Price ~350k €
    Is installation, training, etc. included? Or any consumables?

- Yes, yes, no.

- We have never had issues with consumable deliveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukowski View Post

- That's about what we're seeing. Without going too far into pricing, the costs are going to be much higher per cell/run with consumables, labour etc.
      Thanks a lot for your input @Bukowski. Could you just very briefly elaborate what "much higher" means here - should we expect 1k€? 2k€? More?

Comment

Originally posted by WhatsOEver View Post
        Thanks a lot for your input @Bukowski. Could you just very briefly elaborate what "much higher" means here - should we expect 1k€? 2k€? More?
        The Sequel consumables starter kit, which provides enough materials for 16 cells is 20k€ - admittedly this is not the cheapest way to buy consumables, but is closer to 1.25k€/cell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukowski View Post

- We have never had issues with consumable deliveries.
          SMRT cell delivery schedule is ok, but its shelf-life, usually 1-2 months left after arrived. And although SMRT cells is 4 per tray for purchase, but the sequencing kit is one plate for 8 cells, allowing few days to use up the sequencing kit once opened.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatsOEver View Post
            My information on the sequel so far:
            1) Accuracy of >99.999%
            Is this a consensus acc from assembly/mapping? As this would be coverage dependent, it is meaningless for me... What about individual read (CCS) accuracy? I know there is something mentioned on the PB website, but I don't really understand their graph http://www.pacb.com/smrt-science/smr...cing/accuracy/
            The graph indicates that the more coverage you have, the higher the quality of the self-corrected data (meaning reads corrected by other reads in the same library, not reads corrected by themselves). Last I saw, our RSII was producing 86-87% accurate reads and Sequel was producing 80-83% accurate reads, according to PacBio's software. CCS accuracy simply depends on how long the movie is compared to the insert size; for long insert libraries that you would generate for SV's, you would not yield many useful multi-pass CCS reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses