SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > De novo discovery

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Analysing data from multiple platforms Strider General 1 11-20-2012 01:00 PM
PubMed: Massively parallel sequencing platforms using lab on a chip technologies. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 04-20-2011 02:00 AM
Data Analyst at Invitrogen Life technologies, Carlsbad life technologies Industry Jobs! 0 08-17-2009 11:10 AM
Data Analyst, Oxford Nanopore Technologies, UK Oxford Nanopore Industry Jobs! 0 05-05-2009 06:11 AM

Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
nako

Default using data from multiple platforms/technologies

Hi all - I have a few data sets (assembled sequences), which were generated using a few technologies - Sanger, Illumina (assembled with trinity), 454 (assembled with iAssembler, or in another way with mira and cap3). I would like to use all these datasets for a comparative analysis. My analysis requires that I minimize the amount of redundancies in each data set - that is, I prefer to have alternative splice variants clustered together, and choose a consensus for all of the together, rather than to have them separated.
I would highly appreciate any suggestions. Currently, I am thinking about running CAP3 on each assembled data set one time, in order to reduce redundancy and also homogenize the data a bit. I am new to all this thought, so I am not sure if this is the best options. I did compare cap3 and cdhit on artifical splice variants that I created - and reached the conclusion that cap3 is better for this job.
Thank you in advance for your help
nako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Blahah404

I use `usearch cluster_smallmem` to reduce redundancy. It's similar to CDHIT, but much faster. CAP3 can be useful for creating superassemblies to merge different assemblies together, but it's so slow that I wouldn't want to have to run it many times.
Blahah404 is offline   Reply With Quote