No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read BAM header with SAMtools code

Hello,

I'm trying to call the function "bam_header_read" of SAMtools code from within my C++ program to read fields in BAM file headers. I'm currently interested, for example, in getting reference sequence names from the header.

But "bam_header_read" always complains "wrong header" for the bam input files I provide. The funny thing is that I'm creating these bam files from sam files using SAMtools's own "view" module with the parameters indicated in the SAMtools manual page. The "view" module doesn't complain about the sam input, but the bam output produced by "view" is somehow not accepted by "bam_header_read".

Anyone have some idea about why this happens? Or know of alternative ways to read bam header info using SAMtools code?

I guess an alternative would be to do an external system command call of SAMtools "view", and read the output back into my program, but I wanted to avoid that.

Best, g_solid

Originally posted by g_solid View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to call the function "bam_header_read" of SAMtools code from within my C++ program to read fields in BAM file headers. I'm currently interested, for example, in getting reference sequence names from the header.

But "bam_header_read" always complains "wrong header" for the bam input files I provide. The funny thing is that I'm creating these bam files from sam files using SAMtools's own "view" module with the parameters indicated in the SAMtools manual page. The "view" module doesn't complain about the sam input, but the bam output produced by "view" is somehow not accepted by "bam_header_read".

Anyone have some idea about why this happens? Or know of alternative ways to read bam header info using SAMtools code?

I guess an alternative would be to do an external system command call of SAMtools "view", and read the output back into my program, but I wanted to avoid that.

Best, g_solid
    I can't debug your code for you, but...

I have had success calling the C API from SAMtools in my own code. See my DNAA package source code available via GIT.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses