Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to view a 600MB wig file

Hi, I'm not bioinformatician, so you may find this question stupid. We sent samples to other institute for chip-seq (solexa system) and they gave us both text file and wig file, which was supposed to be able to be viewed with genome browser at UCSC. But the file is too huge to upload. Is there a software that I can view the huge wig file on my computer? Thanks for your help.

You may be able to use the "Integrated Genome Browser" IGB to view the WIG file. It is based on the opensource GenoViz SDK. You can find more information here: http://genoviz.sourceforge.net/

Comment

thanks a lot!

Originally posted by lparsons View Post
      You may be able to use the "Integrated Genome Browser" IGB to view the WIG file. It is based on the opensource GenoViz SDK. You can find more information here: http://genoviz.sourceforge.net/
      Thank you, that's great help!

Comment

You can also break up the Wig files - many people have tools for that handy, or they can be written very easily.

A lot of the time people cram all of the chromosomes into a single wig file, which is then too big to load. (I don't know if that's the case here.) I often find it's easier to view them one chromosome at a time, which gives you MUCH smaller files.
        The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

I think you should be able to upload it if you gzip it first, but best would be to filter it first to remove all positions below a cutoff (it is no point showing positions with only one or two reads). Perhaps the easiest would be to run the eland files through FindPeaks to get a filtered wig file...

Comment

Thanks - I always assume wig files are gzipped and filtered, but I guess that's not always the case! Just a by-product of working with FindPeaks all the time. (-; Both of those are good ideas too.

Anthony
            The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Thank you all very much!

Comment

Wig2Bar app

I've written an application called Wig2Bar which will convert your wig file into binary, chromosome specific, bar files that can be directly uploaded into the Integrated Genome Browser.

See http://useq.sourceforge.net/cmdLnMenus.html#Wig2Bar and http://useq.sourceforge.net/ for download, installation, and usage instructions.

I use this to convert UCSC tracks. -cheers, David

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses