Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNAseq Alternative Splicing

I'm looking for accuracy tool to identify alternative splicing in RNAseq reads.

Best,

Tophat is one popular software that is capable of aligning spliced reads. It gives you a BAM output file. You should read SAM format manual to understand this format. Then it gets pretty straightforward to identify AS events by yourself.

If you want to quantify isoform/transcript abundance, you could use Cufflinks (after using tophat).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Dear cedance,

Thank for your advice. I used Tophat and also Cufflinks however I´m looking for alternative software.

For instance I read that other possibility are MapSplice and AStalavista. As you know many tools exist but my priority is the accuracy in alternative splicing detection.

Best,

Comment

Give a try to DEXSeq!

Comment

DEXSeq

Dear areyes,

I read DeXSeq description and I really interested in used it for exon differential expression analysis.

However the DEXSeq library is available only in R version 2.14.0 (unstable and not available for linux).

I would like to know if a DEXSeq version is also for R version 2.13.0.

Best,

Comment

Hi,

Indeed, DEXSeq is in the development branch of Bioconductor and available in R version 2.14. But you can of course find the sources for this version for linux in the R cran webpage:

If you really want to use R-2.13 you can also download DEXSeq manually and install it from the command line.

Comment

Thanks areyes for you advice.

I will try to do.

Comment

Originally posted by awk View Post
                Dear cedance,

Thank for your advice. I used Tophat and also Cufflinks however I´m looking for alternative software.

For instance I read that other possibility are MapSplice and AStalavista. As you know many tools exist but my priority is the accuracy in alternative splicing detection.

Best,
                Hi,
                Out of curiosity, why aren't you satisfied with TopHat/Cufflinks?
                If I remember correctly Astalavista is dedicated to the detection of all possible alternative splicing events (exon skipping, etc) from a set of annotated transcripts.
                The Flux Capacitor may be an option.
                cheers,
                s.

Comment

Dear steven,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. What I wanted to say is that I´m interested in testing different approaches and not that I´m not satisfied with TopHat/Cufflinks.

I will considered also Flux Capacitor.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

No problem, I was just curious -I am not involved in Cufflinks, but interested in any opinion. As for the Flux, its author may work in your building (or used to). Say hi from steven if you talk to him

Comment

SOAPsplice

Originally posted by areyes View Post
                      what about SOAPsplice?
                      Introduction
                      SOAPsplice: We have developed a tool SOAPsplice for genome-wide ab initio detection of splice junction sites from RNA-Seq, a method using new generation sequencing technologies to sequence the messenger RNA.

Comment

Originally posted by awk View Post
                        Dear cedance,

Best,
                        What is your criteria for deciding which of the softwares are the most accurate in splice site detection?

Comment

To clarify: Most of the tools mentioned above help you in discovering and/or quantifying alternative isoform usage, i.e., to see which isoforms are present in a given sample. If you have samples from two different experimental conditions, you may want to compare and find genes for which the isoform abundance ratios are influenced by the treatment. DEXSeq is meant for the latter.

Comment

Simon, thanks for the clarification. Could you briefly explain (or point to a link) regarding the reason/usage of <negative binomial distribution> for variance estimation over two biological replicates? Also, why wouldn't this package be useful, say, if I want to compare differential exon expression between two species?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
                              To clarify: Most of the tools mentioned above help you in discovering and/or quantifying alternative isoform usage, i.e., to see which isoforms are present in a given sample. If you have samples from two different experimental conditions, you may want to compare and find genes for which the isoform abundance ratios are influenced by the treatment. DEXSeq is meant for the latter.
                              Thank you Simon. I think that Cufflinks also provides a statistical test to check if the relative contribution of each isoform is significantly different between two biological groups.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses