No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low concentration GA library

Hi everyone,
    I have just made my first library for sequencing. As i didn't have much material, after the initial gel purification I did 15 rounds of PCR, followed by a second gel purification as I had a lot of adapters coming through. My final library has the correct size distribution with no additional bands however the concentration is very low. The bioanalyser (high sensitivity DNA chip) results put it at 48.77pg/ul or 242.5pM but the q-PCR (KAPA sybr fast) results give me 140pg/ul or 710pM.

Is the difference that I see between the two quantitation methods due to the low amount of starting material?
    Also should I amplify the library some more by doing another 3 rounds of PCR? Or is there enough there to send to the sequencers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Melanie

I consider concentrations given by the bioanalyzer to be somewhat ballpark-ish but not worth much else. As long as you performed the qPCR correctly that is what I would believe. As far as dealing with low concentrations I have just recently been trying denaturation with 0.5N NaOH and then neutralizing with an equal volume of 0.5N HCl. After the neutralization you can dilute to whatever pM you want to load in 120ul of HT1. This seems to work pretty well for me anyway. I heard about it in a post somewhere on this forum, can't remember where.

Comment

You need ~10 picomoles to sequence per lane so it depends on what volume you have.

Comment

Thanks!

I have talked with tech support at Illumina and here's what they said (in case anyone else has a similar problem or is just curious...)

"I would assume that the difference between the two quantitations is due to the low concentration as you suggest. I personally have more faith in the qPCR numbers assuming appropriate calibration has been done with that technique. In either case, the quantity of material sounds too low for moving into cluster generation which typically would require a 10 nM solution."

As I have only 30ul of sample, I'm going to repeat my protocol with more starting material to hopefully boost my end amount.

~Melanie

Comment

If you have 30ul at 710pM you could take 4ul, add 1ul 0.5N NaOH, wait 5 minutes, add 1ul 0.5N HCl, place on ice and then dilute 2ul of that in 118ul of HT1 for an 8pM ready-to-hyb aliquot.

I'm not saying you shouldn't start again I'm just pointing out that a low concentration library is not unload-able.

See also this thread

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses