Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pogaora View Post
    The gene shown is one that we have an interest in but isn't one that is worked on in the lab specifically. Unlikely that anyone would have a prep of this floating around but I can check - I'm not the wet lab person.

If there is no obvious explanation, I guess the picture is intriguing enough to warrant some lab investigations to figure out if it's an artefact or not. I thought there might be some previous experience of such an occurrence.
    Did you de-dup?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnK View Post
      Did you de-dup?
      Yes indeed.

Comment

Yes indeed.
        Possibility:

Bias towards GC-rich content in fragment selection both in library prep and amplification before and during sequencing.

(Park, October 2009)

Comment

as there are no such peaks in the input I assume that it is not a systematic bias such as an over representation of GC rich fragments

Comment

We haven't done any exome capture experiments, but there were RNAseq samples on the same flowcell. The picture shown is not typical of most genes though - even some which we know are highly expressed in these cells.
            If RNA-seq was strand-specific it may explain why you did not get any peak calls (if your peak caller requires peaks on both strands). You could perhaps calculate RPKMs and compare to the other samples, or compare SNP calls in exons to figure out where the reads come from...

Bias may be different in ChIP and input since you start with less material in the ChIP library, but GC-bias will not result in such enrichments over exons.

Comment

I talked to a colleague who sees these exon-peak events in some of his data depending on what protein or transcription factor he's after. They could be perfectly valid.

Comment

Hi folks,

Is your target protein expected to bind to a single location (like a transcription factor)? or over a more distributed region?

If the former is true, I would suggest visualizing your read pile-up using the Broad's IGV which lets you look nicely at the strand-bias (Fig 1 here for an explanation of what I mean!). I've found this to be a great way visually inspecting the data for true binding sites vs. noise-peaks.

Cheers,
                Lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by JohnK View Post
                  I talked to a colleague who sees these exon-peak events in some of his data depending on what protein or transcription factor he's after. They could be perfectly valid.
                  Hello again all. Thanks to everyone for their interest in this question.

Does the above mean that your colleague validated in the wet lab?

The peaks we're talking about are from targetting a transcription factor and we see reads on both strands in all of the peaks that were in the pic posted earlier.

Comment

Hi Pogaora,

We observed the same exon enriched peak patterns in our ChIP-seq datasets. We also tried another replicate but it didn't happen again. Can you reproduce such peak patterns? I'm interested in comparing your data with ours (we can provide our data too if you are interested). I've sent you a message about the details.

Best regards,

yxi

Comment

Not sure it helps, but this previous thread looks related.

Comment

It may also due to RNAase treatment is not enough, so mRNA was carried over to library construction. Make sure RNAase treatment is done long enough, trace of RNA will be magnified in library.

Comment

Originally posted by hon View Post
                          It may also due to RNAase treatment is not enough, so mRNA was carried over to library construction. Make sure RNAase treatment is done long enough, trace of RNA will be magnified in library.
                          how should that work technically, mRNA getting fixed into the library? you have any experimental evidence?

Comment

I didn't have exact experimental evidence but that phenomenon also occurred to me once that many reads pile up on exons of some genes. My reason is that only mRNA mapped to exons, it was either due to mRNA contamination in the lab or ChIP sample was not completely RNAase treated. Since then, I paid careful attention to ChIP-seq library contamination, it didn't happen again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses