No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• empty fastq files after Miseq is done

Dear all,
    I am new in this field and I done my first sequencing using MiSeq. I checked the files and found that all generated fastq.gz files are empty except two files with names Undetermined_****.fastq.gz are in the Data/Intensities/BaseCalls/ folder which has data (each is about 200 kb).

Could you please help me to explain where is the problem?

Thank you

Sounds like you had a demultiplexing failure. Check your sample sheet one more time (easy mistake is to provide the indexes in rev-comp) and re-queue demultiplexing. You should use Illumina Experiment Manager software (windows only) available from Illumina to make the sample sheet, if you are new to sequencing.

At worst, your run may have failed. Best solution to check on either possibilities is to contact Illumina tech support. They should be able to take a look at your MiSeq remotely (if your MiSeq is not on network then they will ask for a few files) and diagnose.

Comment

Thank you.

I will check both possibilities. I looked at the CompletedJobInfo file and it seems to be fine. I attached also my samplesheet file. I hope you have time to check them.

I really appreciate your efforts.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
        Sounds like you had a demultiplexing failure. Check your sample sheet one more time (easy mistake is to provide the indexes in rev-comp) and re-queue demultiplexing. You should use Illumina Experiment Manager software (windows only) available from Illumina to make the sample sheet, if you are new to sequencing.

At worst, your run may have failed. Best solution to check on either possibilities is to contact Illumina tech support. They should be able to take a look at your MiSeq remotely (if your MiSeq is not on network then they will ask for a few files) and diagnose.
        Thank you.

I will check both possibilities. I looked at the CompletedJobInfo file and it seems to be fine. I attached also my samplesheet file. I hope you have time to check them.

I really appreciate your efforts.

Comment

It won't be very useful to look at the Samplesheet. If MiSeq accepted it at run time then it must have been in the correct format. If your samples did not demultiplex then it is very likely that you have wrong index sequence information in your samplesheet.

Can you post a screenshot of the Sequence Analysis Viewer info for this run? Especially the alignment to phiX. That would be useful for diagnosis.

Comment

It won't be very useful to look at the Samplesheet. If MiSeq accepted it at run time then it must have been in the correct format. If your samples did not demultiplex then it is very likely that you have wrong index sequence information in your samplesheet.

Can you post a screenshot of the Sequence Analysis Viewer info for this run? Especially the alignment to phiX. That would be useful for diagnosis.
            Unfortunately due to COVID 19 measures I have no access to the MiSeq machine now. I only have the run files. Also we did not include phiX sample control. Is there any file in the run folder can be representative so that I share it with you?

I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Are you able to use command line? If you are I can suggest some options to look at those "Undetermined" files to see what may be going on.

If you are able to open them (on PC/Mac) post a small number of example reads here.

Comment

If you look at the DemultiplexSummaryF1L1.txt it will tell you what barcodes were used on the run if the demultiplexing worked.

It's located at
                <run folder>\Data\Intensities\BaseCalls\Alignment
                Josh Kinman

Comment

Are you able to use command line? If you are I can suggest some options to look at those "Undetermined" files to see what may be going on.

If you are able to open them (on PC/Mac) post a small number of example reads here.
                  Yes I can. Here are some reads
                  @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:17423:1618 2:N:0:0
                  CATTGTTCCTTTTGCTTCTTTCCTTTCCCTCTTCTCTTTCTTTTCTCTTCTCTCCTTCTTTTTTCTTTTTTGCCTCTCTTGTTTTCTTACTCTCTTTCCCCCTCTTTTTTCTCTTTCTTTCTTCTCCCTCTCTCTCCCTCACCTTTTCTAT
                  +
                  1111>3333B@3111A13D1331333111A0011A133333111212D212A210111111D1/011111/A1111B01A111002D12111211212110///01B11/012@21221B2212B1100000111100000/0111121B2
                  @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:17369:2159 2:N:0:0
                  TCGCCGGCCTAGTAGGCCCTTCCCTTAGTCTCCTTCTTCTCGCTGCATTCTGACACCCCGGCTCTCTACTTGGCGCTGCTCAACTTTCTAATGTGGCCGCGCGTCGTGTAGGGCACTAGTGTCGTCCTGCGTGTCGATCTCGGAGGTCGCG
                  +
                  11111>>1100B1AG11B00A000111B22211B111D22B///B/A1222221B1///A////0112D211F0@//E/1111021FD2222B2BF/B>///>//</?/011?0//01?1?1</<//.<1>.<>0CA<..0<..--./:--
                  @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:18125:2191 2:N:0:0
                  CCCCTTTCCCTCTGTCTTCTCCCTCGGCGCCTTCTTTGCTCTTCTCGCCGGCTTCGTTGTCCGCGCGTCGTGTCGTGCCCGCGTGTCCCGCTGGTTGTCGCTCTCTGTTGTCGCCGTCTCCTTCCCCCCCCGCCTGCCCTCCCCTTCTGTT
                  +
                  11>11111111>11B333331AA1BA0000A00111A111A1112BA/A//A//0>000B11//>////>///0///</0//////011/////01/?1/////1111<101<..-<-./00<0///<------...../....9.-////
                  @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:21922:3716 2:N:0:0
                  GTTTTTCCTCGTCTGCCCGGCCTCCGTTCTTTCTTTCTCTTCTCCCCGTGCTGCTTCCCGCTTCTTCTCCTTTGCACCCCTCTTTCTTCCTGGTCCTCTTGGCGTGCGCCTTCTTGCCTCTTCCTCCCTGTCTCCCGTTTGTCCGCACGTG
                  +
                  1>111111311>11A1111000000BA100AA22D12BA2212110///B//1A11110/////11221111211210///?01122121@101111111110///?><///111111111111110/01<12>10//00/021/////0.
                  @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:17741:4534 2:N:0:0
                  CTTCTCTTTTCTTTTCGGCGCTTGCTCCGGTCTCCTTGGCCCCTCCTTCCGTCTCCTGCTTCGCGCTGCCTTCGGTCGCCCCGGGCCCTTCCTTGGCGCTGGGCCGCGCGTCGTGTCGGGCCCGCGTGTCCCCGCGTGTGTCGATCTCGGT

Comment

Originally posted by jdk787 View Post
                    If you look at the DemultiplexSummaryF1L1.txt it will tell you what barcodes were used on the run if the demultiplexing worked.

It's located at
                    <run folder>\Data\Intensities\BaseCalls\Alignment
                    Yes I can see this file. None of the barcodes which I used has hit and only some hits are for different barcodes

Comment

@mmhefny,

Are you sure this run was set up to run a index cycle? This run header does not seem to make it look so.

Code:
                      Normally one should see something like this at the end of fastq header for index sequence

Code:
                      @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:21922:3716 1:N:0:GAACGCAA+CTGGCACT
                      Can you find the RunInfo.xml file and post the section that shows this part?
                      Code:
                      <Reads>
                            <Read NumCycles="150" Number="1" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                            <Read NumCycles="8" Number="2" IsIndexedRead="Y" />
                            <Read NumCycles="8" Number="3" IsIndexedRead="Y" />
                            <Read NumCycles="150" Number="4" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                          </Reads>

Comment

@mmhefny,

Are you sure this run was set up to run a index cycle? This run header does not seem to make it look so.

Code:
                        Normally one should see something like this at the end of fastq header for index sequence

Code:
                        @M02006:24:000000000-J397M:1:1101:21922:3716 1:N:0:GAACGCAA+CTGGCACT
                        Can you find the RunInfo.xml file and post the section that shows this part?
                        Code:
                        <Reads>
                              <Read NumCycles="150" Number="1" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                              <Read NumCycles="150" Number="4" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                            </Reads>
                        This part of RunInfo.xml is as follow
                        Code:
                            <Reads>
                              <Read NumCycles="151" Number="1" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                              <Read NumCycles="151" Number="4" IsIndexedRead="N" />
                            </Reads>
                        Last edited by GenoMax; 04-02-2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: Added [code]tags

Comment

Ah so your run was dual-indexed. I am puzzled as to why your reads don't have any index sequence in fastq headers.

What do you see in DemuxSummaryF1L1.txt?

Scroll down the file until your see this section:
                          Code:
                          ### Most Popular Unknown Index Sequences
                          ### Columns: Index_Sequence Hit_Count
                          CTCATCAC+GGTGGCAC       2940
                          AGGTCAAG+CGCGTAAT       860
                          TCCAGGTA+GCTTCAGT       700

Comment

Ah so your run was dual-indexed. I am puzzled as to why your reads don't have any index sequence in fastq headers.

Code:
                            they are:

### Most Popular Index Sequences
                            ### Columns: Sequence ReverseComplement HitCount
                            Index
                            C.CCC.CC GG.GGG.G 96
                            C.CCT.GC GC.AGG.G 94
                            C.CGC.CG CG.GCG.G 78
                            C.GCC.TT AA.GGC.G 65
                            C.ACC.CT AG.GGT.G 44
                            C.CCC.CT AG.GGG.G 40
                            C.ACG.GG CC.CGT.G 38
                            C.CGC.GG CC.GCG.G 37
                            C.AGC.GG CC.GCT.G 36
                            C.CGC.TC GA.GCG.G 33
                            C.CCC.CG CG.GGG.G 29

Comment

Code:
                              This is the file and it does not have this Unknown Index Sequences
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses