SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
converting between genome and transcripts coordinates leshkowitz Bioinformatics 3 04-02-2018 05:55 PM
Quantifying whole genome PCR-free libs without qPCR EGraf Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 10-05-2015 03:53 PM
Viral genome vs transcripts vijesh Bioinformatics 5 06-14-2013 12:20 AM
fill gaps in genome by transcripts neurospora Bioinformatics 2 08-28-2012 12:47 AM

Old 08-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
garlic

Default quantifying transcripts in a redundant genome

Hi,

I am trying to quantify the number of reads mapping to genes in a highly redundant bacterial genome (i.e., often several exact gene copies in the genome).

I've mapped reads to genes with bbmap, and quantified using featurecounts. My problem is that reads are only counted for one of the copies of redundant genes, and not all of them.

I just want to count the number of expressed genes (I want to count all of the copies since I can't distinguish them). I've tried playing around with multi-mapping parameters in featurecounts, but nothing has changed.

Does anyone here know how to do this?

Thanks!
garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
ASintsova

You would have to play with your aligner (bbmap). I've never used that one before, but other aligners like bowtie2 and BWA have an option to search for multiple alignments and report all. However, if you do this, you will be overestimating expression of your redundant genes.
ASintsova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria genome, bbmap, featurecounts, read mapping, transcriptome