Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• view .wig files

I was trying to view the resulting .wig files generated by FindPeaks3 in IGB (Genoviz at SourceForge) but there's a problem with IGB and cannot parse .wig file correctly. Is there any other alternative software to view .wig files, preferentially along with multiple wig files and a genome.
    I tried Argo and IGV, they can parse .wig okay but they didn't allow uploadig a gff file to overlay my own genome with .wig file.
    Napoleon Bonaparte: "Money, money, money!", bioinformatician: "Format, format, format, ..."

Well, you could always send the error to me, and I could help you navigate through it, or solve it.. that is also an option. (=

Anthony
    (author of FindPeaks)
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Hi Anthony,

thanks for offering help. one of the IGB developers agreed to fix the issue. So it will be fixed soon.
      Napoleon Bonaparte: "Money, money, money!", bioinformatician: "Format, format, format, ..."

Comment

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

I too ran into an issue with FindPeaks and IGB. Basically, IGB complains that there is no track information for each fixedstep start location in the WIG file. From my review of the WIG file specification (http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/wiggle.html) it's pretty ambiguous, but UCSC and other browsers don't complain and it's certainly not necessary information, so a fix in IGB would be best. Please let me know when you hear back from the IGB developers as I would be very interested in the fix. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I haven't used IGB, myself, so I wasn't aware of this problem. Would either of you be able to send an extract from a wig file that does work for their browser? I can certainly modify the headers to match an existing template if you are aware of one that works.

Anthony

Comment

I don't have a ton of experience with WIG files, but before FindPeaks I hadn't seen one that inserted new "start positions" within a chromosome track before. In other words, added lines like:

fixedStep chrom=chrN start=chromStart step=stepInterval [span=windowSize]

That's probably because I had been used to variableStep format, so for that, I'd just put the new start in the data line.

Using fixedStep like you do is actually more concise, and thus preferable, but I think that is what is causing the problem with IGB. I haven't done too much testing though, so there could be other issues I'm not aware of.

Hope that helps to clear up the situation...

Comment

That makes sense, although it's difficult to test out without a lot of rewriting. I also have a hard time imagining that there's a browser out there that doesn't understand the fixedStep format of the wig files. Am I really the only one using that format?

At some point, I suppose I could download the IGB source code and look into it, but it's somewhat low on my priority list. If anyone can shed any more light on the subject, or provide a working example of a fixedStep wig that does work with IGB, I'd be happy to spend some time on it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses