X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANNOVAR vs VEP

I was comparing the results from ANNOVAR and VEP and what I found is that

gene-based vs transcript based
    ANNOVAR (ENSEMBL ids) seems to output information only gene-based, not transcript based, therefore out of 81 SNPs I have 81(+-) genes as those that fall in intronic/exonic/ncRNA has one gene annotation and others neighboring genes.
    VEP outputs all ensembld ids of transcripts that are affected by the SNP.

1. Is there any possibility to force ANNOVAR to take all transcripts affected by SNP into consideration?

annovar line: annotate_variation.pl -build hg19 SNPs_annovar_input.avinput humandb/ -dbtype ensGene
    vep: variant_effect_predictor.pl -i SNPs_vep_input.txt --cache --force_overwrite --symbol

intergenic-variantion handling
    ​If a variation is intergentic, ANNOVAR outputs the neighboring genes. VEP tells nothing about the neighboring genes.

2. ​Is there any possibility to force VEP to output the neighboring genes for an internecine variations?

strand information in VEP
    Strand information should be specified for VEP input and is crucial for a prediction about how the variant affects AS. ANNULAR does not need this specification.
    I do not have a strand information for my SNPs (they are taken from a paper and authors provided no information about the strand, only MAF, normal allele and risk allele).

3. Is there a possibility to assign each SNP (using a MAF and risk,normal allele information, position) a strand using R and some database (better command line approach) ?

Thanks
    Last edited by akvarel; 03-13-2015, 06:23 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses