No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbeee needs help ... from the very beginning

Hello World!

Im a urologist resident in Switzerland starting a project to link known and probably not yet analyzed SNPs with prostate cancer. Besides my biology-courses in university im new to the whole subject. As you can see there is a huge way to go to even understand what I am doing here ...
    Since my superiors have even less clue about genetics there is no real chance of getting any help from them: thats where this forum comes in ! I hope I can ask a few (at the beginning rather simple) questions.

Can someone tell me where i can find the SNP numbers (rs....) from these positions:

position
    2p15 62 814 683
    2p15 63 140 832
    2p15 63 177 560
    3p11 87 223 004
    3q26 171 557 211
    3q26 171 592 128
    11q13 68 736 148
    12q13 51 581 014
    17q12 33 204 443
    19q13 56 052 652

Thanks for your help

Lukas

Have you tried the UCSC genome browser?

You have to check that you use the same version of the human genome assembly that your data is from.

Comment

Try the NCBI Variation viewer as well (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/variation/view/?q=2p15). Use this overview to orient yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/variation/view/overview/

BTW: I can see the chromosome arm locations in the first column but what are the other numbers?

Comment

@mastai: thank you! my first impression is that the ncbi browser is a bit easier to use but i cant compare pros/cons yet.
        In both browsers i cannot find a SNP-ref.Number for 2p15 Position 62.814.683 (i haven't checked the other yet)
        Any ideas where to look else?

Comment

I guess the problem is that if you have a novel SNP, then it won't be in the databases (dbSNP, 1000 genomes).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses