Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini GA on the way. Illumina to transition array users to sequencing

In Sequence/GenomeWeb have another article regarding an upcoming new product from Illumina, which appears to be basically a mini Genome Analyzer. An excerpt of the article is below:

from Julia Karow @ In Sequence:

Illumina is developing a new sequencing module for its iScan array scanner that it expects to launch later this year, according to company officials.

The firm recently disclosed details about the new product, called the iScan sequencing module, on its website. It will allow existing array customers to perform sequencing experiments at a lower instrument cost and throughput than the Genome Analyzer.

The company is targeting the module toward core labs that are "looking to increase the breadth of [their] offering to include small next-generation sequencing projects," as well as individual academic labs wanting to perform both array and sequencing experiments, an Illumina spokesperson told In Sequence.

The list price for the module is $130,000, considerably cheaper than the GA, which has a price tag on the order of $400,000 to $500,000. Not included in this price are an iScan-compatible cluster station and data processing and analysis tools, both necessary to run the sequencing module, according to the website.

i think that "mini Genome Analyzer" might be a little misleading. my read of the product brochure suggests you need the iScan scanner to use this add-on sequencing module. so the module might only be $130k but the scanner is $200k+ last i'd heard. it's more of a way for people to do genotyping to get into sequencing than a mini-sequencer for general use, as the thread title suggests. it's a little confusing the way it's written in GW, i think.

Comment

I have also been told that the cost per base is much higher than a normal GA. In which case then why bother? An lower entry cost barrier just won't make much difference in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by BioGeek View Post
        i think that "mini Genome Analyzer" might be a little misleading. my read of the product brochure suggests you need the iScan scanner to use this add-on sequencing module. so the module might only be $130k but the scanner is $200k+ last i'd heard. it's more of a way for people to do genotyping to get into sequencing than a mini-sequencer for general use, as the thread title suggests. it's a little confusing the way it's written in GW, i think.
        If you have the array scanner collecting dust, it seems like an alternative to spending $600k. The thread title suggests "transition", which is exactly how you described it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses