SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of SNPs between case and control sample Maulik23 Bioinformatics 2 01-21-2014 03:31 AM
het:hom distribution in case-control study nans_bn Bioinformatics 0 11-25-2013 05:40 AM

Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
ljw1001

Default Sample case/control variants for any human phenotypes

Hi,

I'm new to bioinformatics and doing some experimental work in machine learning. I'm looking for sample variant data with the following characteristics:

- human
- ideally vcf format
- samples tagged with phenotypes or marked as case/control for a given phenotype. Alternately, pairs of cancer/normal samples would probably do
- more samples is better

if there are any publicly accessible datasets with these characteristics, it would be super helpful. I've looked at 1000G, but they seem to be all apparently normal, and clinvar, but they seem to collect data about variants, but not individuals. I'm really looking for sets of samples where some are affected and some not, for a given feature.

Thank you!!
ljw1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
donfreed

Hi,

It sounds like the ideal data repository for your project would be dbGaP. However, the data is controlled access and might be difficult for your lab to apply for.

If dbGaP is not feasible, then I think the next best place to look would be the NCBI SRA. Although this data may not be ideal.
donfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
ljw1001

Thanks donfreed.

I think you are right that dbGaP would be perfect and that I won't get access . I will dig more into NCBI_SRA.

If I drop the requirement that the data be human, does that open up any possibilities? Really looking for nextgen samples (hence the VCF preference) with phenotypic features associated, but mice or another species would make for a good proof of concept.
ljw1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phenotype, sample datasets, vcf