No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with MiSeq data using GAIIx primers

Hello,

Our lab has just recently sequenced 16S DNA using the MiSeq platform. We had previously sequenced using the GAIIx platform and were hoping to save money by using the same primers and primer set up for MiSeq. We asked Illumina if these primers would be OK to use and they said yes, so we went forward. Now as I am attempting to process the MiSeq data I find that there are problems within the sequence that lead to me losing a lot of sequences before I am able to align them. I am currently using the mothur pipeline. I would like to also note that we used single barcodes only on the forward primer and NOT on the reverse primer (I have seen most MiSeq users using dual barcodes, could our use of only one barcode on the forward read cause any potential issues?). We are also sequencing the V1-V2 region, which I have read is not the best region to sequence with MiSeq but I still do not believe that we should be seeing as many issues with our data just because of the region.

Has anyone tried to sequence on MiSeq using a GAIIx primer set up and have you ever have you seen any problems related to your data?

Any suggestions on potential issues and solutions usign this particular method would be greatly appreciated.

here is the GAIIx forward primer sequence order:
    Illumina adapter - linker - barcode - Illumina Sequencing - 16S primer
    (reverse primer is the same order but lacking the barcode)

Thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by user19; 02-04-2014, 05:21 AM.

I know from a bad experience that old style SR libraries will not work on the MiSeq.

Only the older style (pre-TruSeq) Paired End work on the Miseq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses