Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina-compatible runs

Why hasn't ABI produced flow cells compatible with Illumina sample preparations? At our facility the SOLiD machine has yet to be turned on, while the HiSeqs constantly run.

I do not believe most people are adverse to using SOLiD sequencing technology, but the majority of users have settled into protocols for Illumina sample preparation.

Bridge amplification is owned by Illumina. That's why SOLiD is ePCR.
    The rest of the workflow is pretty much identical. I don't let people complain about the two protocols in my lab. It's a non issue these days.

Comment

Right, I suppose the emulsion PCR could be done using microbeads with oligos homologous to the illumina adapters.

In addition, the blunt-end ligation scheme of SOLiD prep is not close to the efficiency of 3' adenylation followed by T overhang ligation for Illumina.

But it seems like a fair opportunity for ABI to gain some market share.

Comment

Are you sure your lab is not being paid a subsidy by Illumina to allow your SOLiD to lay fallow?

I am doubting that Illumina owns bridge amplification. Seems very similar to the original polony amplification which is likely IP owned by George Church. I heard both Applied Biosystems and Illumina were licensing various Church patents initially.

SOLiD fragment libraries are easy to make. But if Illumina libraries are even easier, that is great news. We just got an Illumina.

Here is what I think happened. Illumina got a year lead on Applied Biosystems initially. From there they just needed not to mess up in any serious way. They have not so far.

Also, I think color space sequence is very much an acquired taste. The ECC that is being released in tandem with the 5500XL should have been released back with v2. Then you have the best of both worlds.

I actually like the idea of being able to run Illumina libraries on the SOLiD. Not sure it is feasible though. I think they have done a lot of optimization on the priming site they know.

--
        Phillip

Comment

right. I'm pretty sure they don't own Bridge amp either, but it's most likely an exclusive license. Complete Genomics doesn't own RCAmp but i'm sure they tried to lock down nanoballs somehow.

the adenylation is more efficient, but it's not really needed. This is also not exclusive to Illumina ,and it actually adds another step to all library preps making illumina's take longer. If you can make nanogram libraries with both methods, then i don't see the clear advantage. You could probably make SOLiD libraries with sticky ends. Has anyone tried?

Comment

From what I have read, Illumina does look like it actually owns some amount of bridge amp IP. Solexa and Lynx Therapeutics purchased solid phase amplification (bridge amplification) from Manteia SA which was a Swiss company. Where Manteia got it from (Turcatti?) I'm not sure, but all available information seems to indicate an outright purchase of the IP as opposed to licensing.

Comment

Originally posted by SeqAA View Post
              the adenylation is more efficient, but it's not really needed. This is also not exclusive to Illumina ,and it actually adds another step to all library preps making illumina's take longer. If you can make nanogram libraries with both methods, then i don't see the clear advantage. You could probably make SOLiD libraries with sticky ends. Has anyone tried?
              In general one does not add anything to the insert, because that will get sequenced and waste that base. Sure it is only 2% of the total read, but the early bases have the highest quality.

--
              Phillip

Comment

Looks like my doubt was misguided. Also, apparently "bridge amp" must be considered different enough from "polony" PCR that it was granted a patent. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why that would be?

--
                Phillip

Comment

Manteia got it from a failed Church-affiliated company (whose name escapes me). Anyone know how many years are left on the patent? It could be around a decade old by now.

Comment

Mosaic Tech?

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                      In general one does not add anything to the insert, because that will get sequenced and waste that base. Sure it is only 2% of the total read, but the early bases have the highest quality.

--
                      Phillip
                      If you're adding a defined sequence wouldn't you just put in the sequencing primer therefore wasting 0 bases?

Comment

You don't pick your sequencing primers with the SOLiD. The methodology is based on annealing a group of 5 primers with different offsets. This is all bundled together in to the run chemistry kits.

In principle, Life Tech could create different run kits for "A-tailed" and blunt-end ligation methodologies. But, given the problems they have had keeping kits stocked, adding more complexity is not warranted.

All of this is really a non-issue. Ligation efficiency just doesn't seem to limit the protocol.

--
                        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses