No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq : 5’ to 3’ transcript coverage

Hello everybody,

I would like to get the read distribution along transcripts in my RNA-seq libraries. Basically, I would like to see if I have a 5' or 3' shortening of transcripts.

I already tried without success to different tools :
    1) RNA-SeQC. I have some issues to use it on my tophat bam files
    2) RSeQC (geneBody_coverage.py). For this one, I get this error :

ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/RSeQC-2.3.7-py2.7-macosx-10.8-intel.egg/csamtools.so, 2): Symbol not found: ___ks_insertsort_heap
    Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/RSeQC-2.3.7-py2.7-macosx-10.8-intel.egg/csamtools.so
    Expected in: flat namespace
    in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/RSeQC-2.3.7-py2.7-macosx-10.8-intel.egg/csamtools.so

It seems to be an installation problem but my informatic skills are too weak to know how to deal with this problem .

I'm blocked. I would very much appreciate your help. Could you help me to use RNA-SeQC or RSeQC? Perhabs do you know a best strategy to get the 5’ to 3’ transcript coverage?

Thank you!!!

ln

PS: I wish you all the best for the new year

You can use the coverageBed from the bedtools program to get the coverage information: http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../coverage.html

Comment

Thank you very much.
      I tried coverageBed. I got a file with the read coverage for each position in the genome. I succeeded in extracting the distribution along one particular transcript. However, what I really need, it is an estimation of the global read distribution along all transcripts. I don't really how I can get it with coverageBed .

Comment

Can you post the command you used for coverageBed?

BTW: Did you try the test dataset for RSeQC with your local install? Is that generating an error? Looking at your file paths it appears that you are using OS X (10.8?)
        Last edited by GenoMax; 01-07-2014, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Yes I used a bed file with the coordinate of my genomes. Here is the command I use for coverage:
          /Users/bedtools2/bin/coverageBed -d -s -split -abam 621_hits.bam -b TAIR10.bed >coverage.txt

This command gave me a very big file (20Go)... As this file obtained with coveragebed was huge (20Go), I also use the genomeCoverageBed and obtained the depth at each position:

/Users/bedtools2/bin/genomeCoverageBed -bg -split -trackline -ibam 621_hits.bam -g TAIR10.bed > coverage2.txt

What I would like is the global read distribution along transcript. That is to say, what is the read percentage in the first 10% bases of the transcripts, in the next 10%… (Enclosed an example of what I could get for one transcript and I would to obtain for all the transcripts.)
          Attached Files

Comment

The -d option reports coverage at each position. Can you try the coverageBed without the -d and -split? Your transcriptome BED file is start/stop positions of exons? If you are set on the 10% intervals then you may need to create a custom BED file.
            Last edited by GenoMax; 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Yes, I think I need to create custom bed file.

Thank you for your help

Comment

Quick and dirty way
                This works best if you align to a list of transcripts, instead of genome. Sure, it's not quite as accurate as aligning to genome with TopHat, but you don't need exact figures, just a ballpark.

1) get a list of your transcripts, and how long each one is. (If you align to a list of transcripts, samtools idxstats will tell you this)
                2) take line of your sam file, and associate it with a transcript (If you align to a list of transcripts, each line will already have that info)
                3) Go through each line of the .sam, and change the alignment position to a corrected integer position that is the position / total length of the transcript
                4) Bin up all your new positions.
                Last edited by swbarnes2; 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses