Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLAST+ and blasting against the NCBI database

Hey guys, I'm trying to run blastx on a transcriptome against NCBI's database so I can get an annotation. I'm using a HPC with trinotate on it, and I'm assuming that I've installed blast+ correctly.

How do I BLAST against the NCBI website's database? I'm aware that you can configure any database file for blast+ to run data against, but what if I want to run a large amount of RNA contigs (like 60,000) against NCBI's website database? I'm aware of the -remote option, but this option will default my computer to using one core to run this job. I assume that the -remote option will let my data run on NCBI's HPCs, but I don't want my job to get timed out.

Any help? How do you approach using blastx on a large dataset?

Thanks!

For that large number of input sequences you would want to run this on a local cluster by splitting your input into multiple file and then running the jobs in parallel. I don't think the "-remote" option is meant for huge datasets.

You may want consider against swissprot/trembl or refseq databases to limit your search space. Is this search for annotating a new transcriptome?

Comment

Yes, it's a new transcriptome for copidosoma. I've tried running this data against uniprot, but I keep on getting low quality hits for drosophila and humans. Of course, I don't know what good outputs for this animal would look like. I'd assume I'd get good hits for Nasonia, assuming that the uniprot database has Nasonia vitripennis in it.

So,in essence, I can either divide my file and run -remote or use an existing database from an animal like Nasonia to get my annotations?

Comment

If Nasonia is the closest relative you can use then search against this Ensembl protein set: ftp://ftp.ensemblgenomes.org/pub/met...tripennis/pep/ or from Nasoniabase: http://hymenopteragenome.org/nasonia...v1.2_pep.fa.gz Annotation appears to be there too: http://hymenopteragenome.org/nasonia...GSv1.2.gff2.gz

The -remote option is probably not meant for 60K items. NCBI may ban your IP if you try to launch too many jobs.

Comment

Take a look to Blast2Go
          The pro version will speed your searching by using their Cloud faciltites, and you can use your own local databases as well

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses