Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many HiSeqs still run a control lane?

A "control lane" is a lane of phiX library -- if I understand correctly it was required back in the "GA" days. Kind of a "tithe" to the gods of sequencing. One lane of eight set aside to honor them. (Joking...)

I was a little late to the Illumina scene. By the time we started running it was not necessary to run a control lane, although you could. So I think we've run 1 control lane in the last 3 years.

Anyone still running them?

--
    Phillip

When I was working in a core lab up till about May of 2013, we were running them religiously. I'm not sure if my old lab has changed their workflow in the time I've been gone, even though Illumina has made it pretty clear that you no longer need so much PhiX.

Short answer: I was running them up till about two years ago.

Comment

With recent versions of the software it is not possible to designate a control lane.

From the HiSeq Control Software v2.2.38/Real Time Analysis v1.18.61 Release Notes (July 2014):

I. HCS v2.2.38
      FEATURES:
      Control lanes are no longer required
      • The control lane option has been removed from all run modes: internal testing by Illumina has shown that a control lane is unnecessary when using RTA 1.18.61, which includes new features to support low diversity sequencing. See the RTA 1.18.61 section (below) for more details. When sequencing challenging samples such as a single amplicon, a 10% PhiX spike-in is recommended in place of a control lane.

Comment

Our procedure is to now include a 0.1% spike-in of PhiX to each lane for run performance monitoring and troubleshooting.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
          With recent versions of the software it is not possible to designate a control lane.

From the HiSeq Control Software v2.2.38/Real Time Analysis v1.18.61 Release Notes (July 2014):
          Good point. I did see that. But it didn't make much of an impression since we never run one anyway...

--
          Phillip

Comment

As mentioned with the new base caller you cannot even specify a control lane if you want to. We do a lot runs that are only whole genome bisulfite sequencing so we use to have to do a control lane, now obviously we don't. We spike in PhiX at 5-10%. The official word from Illumina is you need 10% PhiX, but the unofficial word is that you can go as low as 5% PhiX. We've gone as low as 2.5% and the data still looked good, but we target 5-10%.
            --------------
            Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by ETHANol View Post
              As mentioned with the new base caller you cannot even specify a control lane if you want to. We do a lot runs that are only whole genome bisulfite sequencing so we use to have to do a control lane, now obviously we don't. We spike in PhiX at 5-10%. The official word from Illumina is you need 10% PhiX, but the unofficial word is that you can go as low as 5% PhiX. We've gone as low as 2.5% and the data still looked good, but we target 5-10%.
              Thanks Ethan.
              Hey, I thought you got tired of doing science in Greece and had left?

--
              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses