No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predicting Novel microRNA

Hello,

It is up to me to take nextgen sequencing data for my lab and come up with possible novel microRNA that might be within the data. I was wondering what people use as a prediction tool and why.

I want to be able to give a DNA sequence to a program and have it give me a probability value that a miRNA structure is contained within the sequence.

Thank you,

I once used RNAfold to check the possible folding and see if the structure is like a structure of miRNA. Then you can use miRANDA to seek for miRNAs predective targets.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dina. I have found a program mirDeep that wraps around RNAfold to do something similar to what I want but it is still more complicated than what I want. Ideally I want a program that I give a fasta file containing a sequence I think might have a precursor-miRNA and I want the program to just give me the probability of a precursor-miRNA. Do you know if anything like that exists?

Comment

Originally posted by sgombar View Post
        It is up to me to take nextgen sequencing data for my lab and come up with possible novel microRNA that might be within the data. I was wondering what people use as a prediction tool and why.
        Is the sequencing data genomic DNA, or cDNA from a transcriptome?

If genomic DNA, you can try an RFAM search. If cDNA then you are probably in trouble as the next gen sequencing library would select out sequences of a certain size (eg. 250 bp for Illumina) and most of your miRNA would not be included.

Comment

Originally posted by dina View Post
          I once used RNAfold to check the possible folding and see if the structure is like a structure of miRNA. Then you can use miRANDA to seek for miRNAs predective targets.
          hi dina, I am using miRanda to find the miRNAs predective targets, and I get the preliminary results, but I don't know how to analyse the multiple restults, so, do you have some script for miranda or give me some advice? I will be grateful~~
          In order to discover new lands, one must be willing to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

Comment

hi sgombar,
            miRdeep* may help you.
            Download miRDeep* for free. MiRDeep* Please cite: An, J., Lai, J., Lehman, M.L. and Nelson, C.C.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses