SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to seperate the reads from each individual in jdpr_100 Bioinformatics 7 07-09-2014 11:53 AM
pubMed: starBase v2.0: decoding miRNA-ceRNA, miRNA-lncRNA, protein-RNA interactions yjhua2110 Literature Watch 0 12-12-2013 12:55 AM
starBase v2.0: decoding miRNA-ncRNA, miRNA-ceRNA and protein-RNA interactions rnaNGS RNA Sequencing 0 09-26-2013 04:18 AM
GATK to discover Single Nucleotide Variation in mature miRNA from miRNA-Seq Bioinfo83 Bioinformatics 0 01-31-2012 05:11 AM
miRNA-Seq with samples that have different % miRNA to Total RNA... DrDTonge Bioinformatics 0 01-13-2012 12:20 AM

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Elsie

Default miRNA and RNAseq - together or seperate?

Hi, I am interested in doing a miRNA NGS, specifically the TruSeq Small RNA Sample. I would also like to look more generally at RNAseq expression.
Should I do the TruSeq Small RNA sample kit *and* the TruSeq Stranded, so two different sets of data, or could I just do the TruSeq Small RNA Sample, will that also capture most of the other RNAseq info as well as the miRNAs, or does it really only focus on miRNAs and exclude everything else?

thanks.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Small RNA library preparation involves ligating adapters to termini of RNA and PCR after RT reaction. The reaction condition is optimised for amplification of small RNA species, so the larger RNA fractions will not amplify efficiently. In addition, there is a gel size selection step which cuts fragments generated from small RNA fraction for sequencing. RNAseq libraries are prepared by random priming of fragmented RNA, so the small RNA will not have much chance of primer binding and reverse transcription. If the aim is to study both small RNA and total RNA-rRNA or mRNA from the same sample, separate libraries have to be prepared for each.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Elsie

Thank you nucacidhunter, that is an extremely helpful answer and exactly what I was after!. I appreciate your time.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
super0925

Hi All, I am doing RNA-Seq (reads mapped to human genome) and want to find significant Differential expressed genes, but I also find there is some reads counts mapped to miRNA, is it normal? Do I need to separate them to analysis it ? Or together analysis it? As nucacidhunter said, if I want to separate analysis , I need to re-prepare libraries (separate libraries)
super0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Litania

What do you think about this article
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4615683/
It claims that you can analyse both long and small RNA simultaneously
Litania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirna, truseq