SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
454 quality score, z-score,.. nii 454 Pyrosequencing 4 10-15-2020 07:29 AM
Problemastic reads quality score distribution by dwgsim yjx1217 Bioinformatics 1 10-08-2012 02:28 PM
SNP quality distribution peaks at 222 from variant call pile elfuser Bioinformatics 0 07-31-2012 12:42 PM
GATK 'Variant quality score recalibration' for shallow coverage jorge Bioinformatics 2 03-30-2012 05:08 AM
Fastq quliaty score and MAQ output quality score baohua100 Bioinformatics 1 02-19-2009 10:21 AM

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Pinko

Question Asymmetric variant score quality distribution

I've called WGS Drosophila variants using GATK UnifiedGenotyper.

My problem is that the distribution of the quality scores is very asymmetrical, effectively with one very high peak of comparatively low quality and one secondary peak of greater quality.

I don't strictly know if this a cause for concern but it really doesn't look right to me.

My read mapping pipeline includes removal of adaptors and low-quality bases, and local re-alignment. The variant call quality scores are from four individuals with an average of 30X coverage.

Any advice on whether I should be concerned and what I might be able to do to correct this would be much appreiciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png qual_score_distr_chrom.png (106.1 KB, 7 views)
Pinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
aeonsim

I believe that's normal, it's similar to what we usually see when sequencing. I've never pull investigated the cause of it but I suspect it may be due to score differences between Heterozygous and Homozygous variants with possible some impact with read depth & structural duplications.

Remember QUAL score is simply an indicator of the probability that there is a Variant at that position (not if the variant is correct) and thus it is affected by Read Depth and a Homozygous variant will usually have 2x the number of Variant support reads at the same coverage as a Heterozygous Variant.
aeonsim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snp calling, snp quality, unifiedgenotyper, variant calling