Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with bacterial genome assembly (mapping vs. de novo)

I am attempting to assemble a genome from an organism I am working on. Initial BLAST analysis of some assembled contigs has led me to believe I am dealing with previously described bacterium “X”. Read mapping in geneious supports this as the majority of my reads are used and I get good coverage (bar a few regions of no coverage).

My de novo assembly however is giving me mixed messages…Though the assembled contigs have a high ANI, >95% when compare to the reference genome, the contigs will not map to the reference. I have a handful of contigs between 300 – 600 kb however, none will map back to the reference. I initially thought this was due to a poor assembly however my read quality is good and I can more-or-less (give or take a few base pairs) replicate the large contigs across two different assemblers (Spades and Abyss) and two different data sets from illumina and ion torrent reads generated from the same organism. DNA was extracted from a known pure culture so it is unlikely to be due to contaminating reads.

Has anyone come across this before or have any idea of where I might have gone wrong?

What are you mapping the contigs back to the reference with?

You could perhaps try reordering the contigs with progressive Mauve against the 'reference' genome, which might not be that good a reference though..

Comment

Good point - I was lazy and just ran the mapping within geneious though I did adjust the thresholds.

I will try bbmap - any other suggestions for bacterial genomes?

The data was trimmed/filtered prior to assembly and the fact I get very similar large contigs from two different assemblers I would like to think they are reasonably accurate.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses