SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Newbie.. Anyone to advise.? teutara Bioinformatics 7 03-16-2011 11:14 AM
fastx newbie madsaan Bioinformatics 0 01-10-2011 10:03 AM
Newbie Question Here Schoenbrau General 1 12-05-2010 08:20 PM
hello from a newbie kathryn Introductions 0 08-13-2008 12:36 AM
Newbie from Seattle sequencer_lee Introductions 0 05-23-2008 10:34 AM

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
roshanpatel95

Default Newbie Help

Hey guys,
This is a newbie question, but really having hard time setting up Bowtie and would really appreciate if someone helps me through this. I did read the tutorial on the website, but everytime i put the code in terminal or windows command prompt, just gives me an error.

Could someone explain how to get Bowtie or Bowtie 2 started?
Thanks for your help in advance.
roshanpatel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
ETHANol

Nobody can explain to you better then the program documentation because no one knows what you did, what error messages you get, what machine you have, you operating system, etc.

You need to spend the time and create a very detailed and clear post.

Some say there's no such thing as a stupid question. Those people are idiots. It all comes down to asking the right question(s) in the right way.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
roshanpatel95

I know it sounds stupid, but i really need to get this program started.

I am using windows 7 and using windows command prompt. I downloade Bowtie binary from their website and it said to issue the command (i was lost right here...am i supposed to write a command in CMD or is there a program that i need to get).

what i did so far is, uncompressed the binary and opened CMD and got to the folder by using the cd 'foldername" and i am assuming this is where " bowtie e_coli reads/e_coli_1000.fq" command but it keeps giving me an error saying "is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file"

here is the bowtie tutorial website http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/tutorial.shtml

thnx for the help
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

if you don't have bowtie in your path, then you need to access it using relative file names ('"c:\bowtieDirectory\bowtie" "e_coli reads\e_coli_1000.fq"'). The tutorial was designed for people to use it on a GNU/Linux system, which is why there are forward slashes in the file names. If you're going to be doing command-line bioinformatics, I would seriously consider getting a Linux computer set up for use.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Bioinfo_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringer View Post
if you don't have bowtie in your path, then you need to access it using relative file names ('"c:\bowtieDirectory\bowtie" "e_coli reads\e_coli_1000.fq"'). The tutorial was designed for people to use it on a GNU/Linux system, which is why there are forward slashes in the file names. If you're going to be doing command-line bioinformatics, I would seriously consider getting a Linux computer set up for use.
And I suggest you start learning some Unix because to do extensive Next Gen Sequencing analysis you will need it.

A very good starting point as many in this forum has mentioned is the "Unix and Perl Primer for Biologists" from this link:
http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Unix_and_Perl/
Bioinfo_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
roshanpatel95

thnx for the help
much appreciated.