SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do extra PCR cycles really increase errors? pmiguel General 10 12-03-2014 10:11 PM
PCR primer -- a PCR simulation on your computer gringer General 0 01-26-2012 02:03 AM
Adapter Enrichment PCR barb Illumina/Solexa 25 04-18-2011 01:15 PM
Enrich the adaptor-modified DNA Fragments by PCR barbarella Illumina/Solexa 3 07-06-2009 06:43 AM
PCR enrichment of libraries in 12 cycles or less? seqgirl123 Illumina/Solexa 6 07-05-2009 02:53 PM

Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
MGH Man

Smile Number of PCR How many PCR cycles to enrich adapter-modified DNA fragments

We are prepping our samples for exome sequencing (Agilent Sureselect followed by 100bp PE version 4 chemistry). The Illumina library preparation protocol includes a PCR step to enrich the adapter-modified fragments. The protocol asks for 1ul of DNA to be added and for 18 cycles of PCR. This seems a lot, especially as we are getting a lot of duplicate reads/PCR artifact in our data.

Has anyone tried a lower number of cycles, and, if so, how did it work out for you?
Best
MGH Man

(Sorry if this issue has been posted before )
MGH Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
GW_OK

The Agilent Exome seqcap protocol calls for 6 cycles of PCR to enrich for adapter modified fragments. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it will work.
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
jpsmith

I've done a handful of Agilent's exome sample prep and yes the 6 cycles for the initial prep is plenty. I would recommend starting with as close to 3ug as possible as when I've started with lower amounts of DNA ( around 2ug) it is more difficult to achieve the requisite 500ng to continue with the capture steps.
jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
JUdw

Could you further reduce the pre-hyb PCR cycle number, e.g to 3 rounds of PCR using PE primers?

I suppose theoretically 3 rounds is the minimum, since you need the symmetric PCR product mentioned in the diagram of greigite in thread:

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...?t=198&&page=2
JUdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
greigite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUdw View Post
Could you further reduce the pre-hyb PCR cycle number, e.g to 3 rounds of PCR using PE primers?

I suppose theoretically 3 rounds is the minimum, since you need the symmetric PCR product mentioned in the diagram of greigite in thread:

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...?t=198&&page=2
I have tried going down to 4 cycles with the standard PE library prep protocol but could not see anything on bioanalyzer. However, my guess is that I did not have enough template DNA in the reaction. Really you are only limited by how sensitive your library quantification method is- qPCR is probably the most sensitive.
greigite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
JUdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by greigite View Post
I have tried going down to 4 cycles with the standard PE library prep protocol but could not see anything on bioanalyzer. However, my guess is that I did not have enough template DNA in the reaction. Really you are only limited by how sensitive your library quantification method is- qPCR is probably the most sensitive.
I already have about 500ng of template, so i think I don't really need to do the pre-hyb PCR. For qPCR the pre-hyb PCR is however required, since these primers only anneal to the extended PCR product. Therefore i don't want to skip the pre-PCR, but i really want to use as few cycles as possible.
JUdw is offline   Reply With Quote