No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counting junction reads in TopHat

Hi,
    I am running TopHat and using the accepted_hits.bam file to generate counts for genes.
    How does TopHat identify junctions in this bam file, as exons?
    How are users generating read counts for genes which include the junction and exon reads?
    Thanks,
    Lana

If you just want to use the junctions directly, then, in addition to bam file, you should also have a junctions, insertions and deletions .bed file.

If you are wanting to understand, then, you should look at Sam Format Specification. Your bam file can be viewed with samtools. If necessary, you can convert to sam with picard tools.
    In RNA-Seq data, basically, when tophat finds a read that splices across previously identified exon regions, that is, for one read R (80bp), say, of gene G (with 5 exons, say), between E2 and E3 (the intron between E2 and E3 is 500bp, say); lets say R1 = 30bp maps to E2 and R2 = 50bp maps to E3, then tophat writes this as 30M500N50M. This is a CIGAR string (from the sam format specification). In addition to that there is a "start" position in the SAM file format and using this you can find out the junction (check out other possible options for CIGAR string). Is this what you asked for?

Comment

exon join frequencies from RNAseq data

Hi,

Don't know whether this will help - or whether I went about it the correct way - but this is my related experience.

I was faced with a similar problem - determining the read evidence for particular exon joins within a certain genomic region.

Basically what I did was take the RNAseq read data and use tophat to align to a particular genomic region for which I knew the exon positions.

After getting a sam/bam file, I wrote a python script to parse the tophat match data i.e. the cigar string info: 30M500N50M to determine the exon join read frequencies.

Shoot me any questions you like.

Good luck,

Alex

Comment

After going thro' your question again, the simple picture as far as I understand is this: tophat first uses bowtie to align reads against the reference genome. Bowtie aligns reads without identifying splice sites. It tries to map entire read directly to a matching region of your genome (and it is fast). From here, tophat "knows" potential exons and it tries to map the other unmapped reads by splitting them in to smaller parts and finding a region.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses