SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adapter ligation - Illumina Celia Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 03-29-2011 12:06 PM
Ratio in Adapter-Ligation mestro2 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-27-2010 04:29 AM
Sequencing by ligation MDiamo General 0 02-08-2010 05:07 PM
help: time of adapter ligation lvxiaobao Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 12-24-2009 07:37 AM
solexa adapter ligation question seqgirl123 Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 10-13-2009 12:08 PM

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
johnmillsbro

Default Adapter Ligation Question

Hello. Looking for some help. We are using solexa to sequence a large pool of PCR products (Vent). Vent doesn't not produce overhangs. Therefore to ligate solexa adapters we will have to either enzymatically add the A overhangs or we would use adapters designed to be blunted directly to our PCR product. My question is: Are the A overhangs essential for efficient adapter ligation? Why do they use the overhangs in the first place?

Thanks many-

John
johnmillsbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
GW_OK

Using A tails prevents (somewhat) the formation of adapter dimers and library concatemers. Illumina protocol, though, has a specific A-tailing step after the post shearing end repair so it ought to be a moot point. Are you using some other protocol?
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
johnmillsbro

I don't have their full protocol (yet). I just knew you need an A overhang. I am curious why they add the overhang. I suppose it must be to prevent adapter:adapter ligations.

thanks
johnmillsbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Bruce E

The A overhang is also needed so the adapter ligates in the correct orientation. They refer to these as adapters but it is actually one Y adapter so you need it to ligate in the correct orientation and the 3' A does this. If you were using blunt end ligation with blunt adapters as 454 uses you can get many fragments that will have adapters ligated incorrectly.
Bruce E is offline   Reply With Quote