SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"allele balance ratio" and "quality by depth" in VCF files efoss Bioinformatics 2 10-25-2011 12:13 PM
Relatively large proportion of "LOWDATA", "FAIL" of FPKM_status running cufflink ruben6um Bioinformatics 3 10-12-2011 01:39 AM
The position file formats ".clocs" and "_pos.txt"? Ist there any difference? elgor Illumina/Solexa 0 06-27-2011 08:55 AM
"Systems biology and administration" & "Genome generation: no engineering allowed" seb567 Bioinformatics 0 05-25-2010 01:19 PM
SEQanswers second "publication": "How to map billions of short reads onto genomes" ECO Literature Watch 0 06-30-2009 12:49 AM

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
rdu

Default "N"s in DNA sequence data

I found there're many "N"s in a initial DNA genome sequence data, like:

CTGAAATCACTACTTTCCTTGTTAGGCTCGGCGCATGTGTTAAGTAGNNN
NTTATANNCNGNNNAGNATTTATNNNNNNNNCTTNNNNNNCGGTTATATG

What's the explanation for it? I took BLASTX allignment, no error messages popped up, then how BLAST treats them? Thanks.
rdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
apratap

Hi rdu

I see these messy N's always in the Illumina data. I think it could mean variety of different things but this is just my interpretation. Mianly I think when the base caller is not able to decipher which nucleotide to call it leaves "N" behind. If you see bunch of N a the end it could relate to falling quality. However if you see a long stretch in the middle, it could also mean complexity in that genomic region.

HTH
-Abhi
apratap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
rdu

Hi apratap,

Thank you. Your anwser sounds reasonable. If I know some related futher, will also share with you. Have a nice day.
rdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
aloliveira

Hello,

The Blast ignore that sequences, there is a lower-complexity filter by default on BLAST to avoid miss-called bases or masked bases (normally N or X correspondingly). You can turn-off that parameter if you want.

Best regards,
André.
aloliveira is offline   Reply With Quote