Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started with BAM tools

Hi I have a question do I run BAM tools under unix or from a web browser with the applications on them.

Very confused about how to get started.

I see commands but I don't know where to enter them.

Do you mean BamTools (C++)?

Or BAM tools in the general sense, e.g. samtools, Picard, etc?

Either way, you will need to download and install software locally - typically this means Linux or Unix (e.g. Mac OS X), but things like BAM viewers generally also work on Windows (via Java).

Comment

Yes this sound like it..

want to be able to take the BAM files I have on UCSC and Compare them with SNP annotators and find gaps and produce histograms of coverage so I can see areas of weakness for further investigation.

We are starting in Next Gen so there is lots to learn but its exciting so we hope we can get to the line command stage and try things out to get the data we want.

Where do I download the tools from and are there easy non technical instructions around.

Thanks for the help btw.

Comment

There are graphical viewers for SAM/BAM files, e.g. IGV and Tablet.

Then there are command line tools for working with SAM/BAM files, e.g. samtools

You'd best well advised to scan these forums for tips etc... but also you'll benefit in the long run from general Unix command line skills. If you are at a university, there may be some courses on this (possibly in the Computer Science department).

Comment

We got IGV viewer working and we uploaded BAM files to UCSC Genome browser. We also managed to get a SNP track of the Seattle Seq info from the BAM files so that is why we wanted to look at BAMTools to compare what UCSC annotates as a possible change vs Seattle Seq and others.

We also wanted a histogram of coverage and more as we go along.

Its generally learning to manipulate cross reference and put in context our Next Gen data as it comes along.

Here is the UCSC session to give you an idea Purple was the Seattle Seq results and you can zoom into to see a local annotation showed up lost more SNPs and UCSC even more. http://goo.gl/7o4Il

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses