SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq: SOAPsplice: Genome-Wide ab initio Detection of Splice Junctions from RNA-Seq Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 02-04-2012 03:00 AM
RNA-Seq: Comparative Analysis of RNA-Seq Alignment Algorithms and the RNA-Seq Unified Newsbot! Literature Watch 3 07-31-2011 08:08 PM
Large scale alignment and other related tasks fahmida Bioinformatics 2 06-29-2011 09:42 PM
RNA-Seq: RNA-seq analysis of two closely related leukemia clones that differ in their Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-29-2010 03:00 AM

Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
wenhuang

Default RNA-seq alignment to closely related genome

Hi,

I have recently done alignment of an RNA-seq library for an organism (bos indicus cattle, the zebu cattle) without reference genome to a closely related genome (bos taurus cattle). The mapped percentage looked OK.

I have little idea how similar these two genomes are, probably over 99.9%.

I am a bit concerned about some sort of bias introduced due to the use of a 'different' reference genome, particularly for less conserved genes. Is there any way I can look at this bias formally? I have thought about de novo assembly, but that's probably not practical given the low depth (one lane, about 20M 75bp paired end reads) and insufficient computing power (16G RAM).

Any thought is welcomed.

Thank you!
wenhuang is offline   Reply With Quote