Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homopolymer run errors, polyA bias

Pyrosequencing has problems with determining the correct number of bases in a homopolymer stretch. However, we notice that this problem is much more frequent with polyA than polyT/C/G. How can that be?

I found a paper describing roughly the same thing (but with polyA/T), but without any explanation. Could it be that the fluorescent reporter used for dATP is weaker than for the other bases, making it more difficult to determine peak size? The problem starts already at a three base repeat, giving ~10-20% sequences with runs of lengths two, four, five and even six bases.

Originally posted by sulfobus View Post
    Pyrosequencing has problems with determining the correct number of bases in a homopolymer stretch. However, we notice that this problem is much more frequent with polyA than polyT/C/G. How can that be?

I found a paper describing roughly the same thing (but with polyA/T), but without any explanation. Could it be that the fluorescent reporter used for dATP is weaker than for the other bases, making it more difficult to determine peak size? The problem starts already at a three base repeat, giving ~10-20% sequences with runs of lengths two, four, five and even six bases.
    Pyrosequencing does not use fluors. It detects the pyrophosphate released by the polymerase from dNTPs as they are incorporated into the nascent strand. PPi release is coupled ultimately to luciferase-catylyzed emission of light.

Most likely this is a software bug I would guess. Have you used Roche software to look at the flowgrams of reads with poly A length miscalls? If they look different than poly A/C/G, then I would suspect chemistry. Otherwise, more like a software issue.

--
    Phillip

Comment

I found a paper describing roughly the same thing (but with polyA/T), but without any explanation.
      By the way, that paper is from the dawn of next gen sequencing--2006! It was GS-20 data. I'm pretty sure the situation is no where nears as bad these days. What version of Roche software generated your basecalls?

Comment

Actually, we don't sequence ourselves but our sequence provider didn't know what could cause this bias. I will bring up the suggestion about software bug with them, and ask them to use the latest version of the basecalling software. Thanks Phillip!

Comment

Actually, we don't sequence ourselves but our sequence provider didn't know what could cause this bias. I will bring up the suggestion about software bug with them, and ask them to use the latest version of the basecalling software. Thanks Phillip!
          That said, I'm not sure that newer versions of the software fix this problem. But it is worth a shot.

Comment

Pyrosequencing uses dATP-α-S rather than standard dATP. This is due to nonspecific activity in luciferase using standard dATP. Polymerase is able to incorporate the modified dATP-α-S wherase luciferase cannot. However, the ability of polymerase to incorporate a dATP-α-S is less than standard dATP.

The problems with homopolymers you are seeing is a known problem with the platform. If homopolymers are a large concern, you should try a different platform for sequencing.

Comment

Originally posted by hyjkim View Post
              Pyrosequencing uses dATP-α-S rather than standard dATP. This is due to nonspecific activity in luciferase using standard dATP. Polymerase is able to incorporate the modified dATP-α-S wherase luciferase cannot. However, the ability of polymerase to incorporate a dATP-α-S is less than standard dATP.

Good to know!

Yes, now that I look, I see a ref for it:

Ronaghi, M., Karamouhamed, S., Pettersson, B., Uhlen, M., and
              Nyren, P. (1996) "Real-time DNA sequencing using detection of
              pyrophosphate release". Anal. Biochem. 242, 84–89

Also, apparently the S enantiomer of dATP-a-S is the substrate usable by a polymerase. The R stereoisomer inhibits the polymerization. See:

Gharizadeh et al. (2002). "Long-read pyrosequencing using pure 2'-deoxyadenosine-5'-O'-(1-thiotriphosphate) Sp-isomer". Anal Biochem 301: 82.

Any chemists know of conditions that might racemize the pure S isomers dATP-a-S that Roche is presumably utilizing in their reagents? We would want to avoid that.

--
              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses