Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGV: Mapping Quality vs. XA tag (I'm lost)

Hello all,

In IGV, reads with a mapping quality = 0 are displayed in white while reads
    with a positive mapping quality are displayed in grey (at least for the bam
    file I am trying to analyze).

From what I could deduce from the information displayed when I hover over a read, I thought that white reads would be the ones mapping at several locations on the reference genome while grey reads would be the ones with a unique mapping location. However, I just found some grey reads with XA tags, which in my case, mean that they map to 3 different locations on the genome...

AAAAAAAArrrgh!!

I don't understand what I'm doing, I guess...

Could anyone explain to an idiot like me, how this works? What is the
    mapping quality then? How can I determine which are the reads with a unique
    target in the genome?

Thank you very much in advance for your help
    -a-

Anyone has an idea how reads with XA tags can have a mapping quality >0?

These reads also have XT = U, meaning they should be unique, right? how can reads have XT=U and multiple XA tags???
    Last edited by asheenlevrai; 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hi, this is probably a question best addressed by the developers of the aligner you are using, is it BWA? mq == 0 means that a read had multiple equally good placements. The definition of the XA tag is "alternative hits", it doesn't say, necessarily, equally good quality hits.

The most authoritative place to get an answer on this is the BWA forum, hopefully Heng himself will weigh in (bio-bwa-help). If you do get an answer please post it here as well.

Jim

Comment

I was using BWA via the galaxy project website

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses