Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq: Recent advances in RNA sequence analysis.

Syndicated from PubMed RSS Feeds

Recent advances in RNA sequence analysis.

F1000 Biol Rep. 2010;2:64

Authors: Salzberg SL

The latest high-throughput DNA sequencing technology can now be applied on a large scale to capture the complete set of mRNA transcripts in a cell, using a technique called RNA-seq. Although RNA-seq is only 2 years old, it has rapidly swept through the field of genomics, and it is now being used to analyze the transcriptomes of organisms ranging from bacteria to primates. The depth of sequencing allows researchers to quantify the level of expression of genes, to discover alternative isoforms in eukaryotic species, and even to characterize the operon structure of bacterial genomes.

PMID: 21173855 [PubMed - in process]

More...

Using this introduction of recent advances in RNA sequence analysis, and specifically about the bacterial genome structure obtained with RNA-Seq analysis, my question is:

Do you Know the programs used to the bioinformatic characterization of the bacterial operon structure?

As the first answer I include the Cufflinks, that I used with the next options:

1) -g GTF-file tells cufflinks to use the reference annotations GTF file to guide the RABT assembly (Reference Annotation Bassed Transcript Assembly) "Roberts et al., 2011".
    2) -I 49. The maximum intron length is 49 and the minimum intron size as default is 50 pb. Then, with this option Cufflinks don't find any intron region, not present in prokaryotic genome.

After the Cufflinks application with the 7 mapping files (bam files) obtained with TopHat using several lanes, I used Cuffmerge application taking the assembly GTF files obtained with Cufflinks as input, and I obtained a merged GTF file that includes the operon distribution.

I like to compare the results with other possibilities and in the next reference (Passalaqua et al., 2009), we find in "The Quality control and statistical and bioinformatic analysis of sequence data" (Page 3204) that "the statistical analyses were done using R, Microsoft Excell 2008, and GraphPad Prism 5.0a. Processsing of sequence data for mapping or quantification was done using custom PERL scripts that are avaible for download at http://bergmanlab.biology.gatech.edu". This page is out of service and after mailing the correspondig author nickbergman, I don't receive any answer. If you have the scripts used and referenced, I really grate to receive them.

Thanks for your aid.
    Last edited by Rodri; 11-14-2011, 02:41 AM. Reason: Bacterial Operon Structure characterization using RNA-Seq

Comment

Hey,

I don't think using Cufflinks reference based method to reconstruct operon is a good idea, since if you use cuffmerge the output should be the "merged" operon structures from all the conditions or time points, then how can you determine the operon dynamic structure?Maybe Cufflinks without a reference genome could be an option for bacterial transcriptome construction.

But I do have question here, does anyone try Scripture for the operon construction in bacteria?

Originally posted by Rodri View Post
      Using this introduction of recent advances in RNA sequence analysis, and specifically about the bacterial genome structure obtained with RNA-Seq analysis, my question is:

Do you Know the programs used to the bioinformatic characterization of the bacterial operon structure?

As the first answer I include the Cufflinks, that I used with the next options:

1) -g GTF-file tells cufflinks to use the reference annotations GTF file to guide the RABT assembly (Reference Annotation Bassed Transcript Assembly) "Roberts et al., 2011".
      2) -I 49. The maximum intron length is 49 and the minimum intron size as default is 50 pb. Then, with this option Cufflinks don't find any intron region, not present in prokaryotic genome.

After the Cufflinks application with the 7 mapping files (bam files) obtained with TopHat using several lanes, I used Cuffmerge application taking the assembly GTF files obtained with Cufflinks as input, and I obtained a merged GTF file that includes the operon distribution.

I like to compare the results with other possibilities and in the next reference (Passalaqua et al., 2009), we find in "The Quality control and statistical and bioinformatic analysis of sequence data" (Page 3204) that "the statistical analyses were done using R, Microsoft Excell 2008, and GraphPad Prism 5.0a. Processsing of sequence data for mapping or quantification was done using custom PERL scripts that are avaible for download at http://bergmanlab.biology.gatech.edu". This page is out of service and after mailing the correspondig author nickbergman, I don't receive any answer. If you have the scripts used and referenced, I really grate to receive them.

Thanks for your aid.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses