Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which kit for RRBS?

Any advice on which kit to use for RRBS? I'm looking at Epignome Methyl-Seq; NuGen Ovation Ultra low Methyl-seq; Bioo NEXTflex bisulfite sequencing kit,
    The Illumina web site is confusing - their RRBS workflow includes ligation of methylated adapters which are no longer available. I called to ask about the Epignome kit for RRBS and was advised not to do RRBS at all and use microarrays (or WGBS - which is cost prohibitive for a new lab start-up). Any advice for a newbie to RRBS would be much appreciated

Ultimately I want to use FFPE samples - impossible?

Which kit for RRBS

Dear lyndaben,
    Have you decided which kit you are going to use?
    I am also currently looking at several options.
    The protocol published by Boyle et al. (2012) Genome Biology appears quite easy to optimize. I am also interested by the NextFlex kit.
    By the way, Boyle et al. mentionned to used the bisulfite conversion protocol for FFPE samples with ANY samples. It thus doesn't appear to be a problem?
    Cheers,
    Anne-Marie

Comment

I opted for the NuGEN Ovation kit. They provided me with a protocol addition for RRBS. It was just delivered this week so I have not had the chance to try it yet

Comment

I know this is an old thread but this could be useful for somebody: NuGEN just launched a kit specifically for RRBS which should be much better than using their Methyl-Seq kit. It uses direct ligation from MspI digestion, only one bead purification and no need for phiX spike-in to deal with the lack of diversity coming from the MspI ends.

Comment

The new kit will be better hopefully. A note of caution to anyone using the old kit with the modified RRBS protocol: The first sequencing run we multiplexed with RNAseq samples and everything was great and the data looks good. This last time we multiplexed with PhiX (in 6 of 8 lanes) as recommended by NuGEN and we are having problems with the data (only 3-10M reads for the RRBS samples). On the same flow cell, two of the lanes were multiplexed with RNAseq and we got 30M reads for the RRBS samples, so we know it was not a sequencing problem or a library problem.

Comment

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Methyl-Seq hybrid capture sequencing method from Agilent instead of RRBS?

Comment

This kit does not seem to be popular. I could not find any publication that have used it nor Agilent Techsupport was able to provide any reference. It would cost more than RRBS for the same coverage of target region, noting that target or covered regions are different between two methods.

Comment

Methyl-DNA Sequencing

We've posted several different flavors of Methyl-DNA sequencing. Use the links at the end of the post to see the kits that NGS service providers on Genohub use.

- Genohub

Comment

Dedicated kit for RRBS from NuGEN

I wanted to comment that NuGEN has recently launched a dedicated kit for RRBS, the Ovation RRBS Methyl-Seq System - details can found here

Comment

Originally posted by lyndaben View Post
                    I opted for the NuGEN Ovation kit. They provided me with a protocol addition for RRBS. It was just delivered this week so I have not had the chance to try it yet
                    Dear lyndaben,

How did your data turn out? Did you have any issues demultiplexing your samples? We recently used the kit. The libraries looked great but we are having issues with demultiplexing. Any advice/ tricks?

Thanks for your time

Comment

We used the NuGEN Ovation kit with great results when we multiplexed our samples with RNA-seq samples. When we multiplexed some RRBS libraries with PhiX we had problems with demultiplexing but when we re-sequenced the same samples and multiplexed with RNA-seq libraries we had no problems at all.

We are now making libraries from their new Ovation RRBS Methyl-seq kit. You do not need to multiplex with high quantities of complex libraries with this kit. Library construction is working great but we haven't sequenced any yet.

BTW, we had the same demultiplexing problem when we had some TrueMethyl-seq RRBS and oxRRBS libraries sequenced with PhiX and again no problem when the same libraries were re-sequenced with some RNA-seq libraries

Comment

Demultiplexing rate with new kit is low with or without PhiX. Undetermined folder reads have index but it seems to have various sequences. NuGEN should have seen this issue if they sequenced libraries according to their recommendation.

Comment

Would you mind sharing your % undertermined reads?

Comment

15-30% depending on lane. Multiplexing level does not seem to have any effect.

Comment

Faria, did you use the old kit or the new kit?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses