No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break scaffolds with many Ns to contigs

Dear all,
    Recently I sequenced a plant genome using Hiseq 2000, 101bp paired end reads. I assembled the reads to contigs. Because I just sequenced one insert libray (size 400 bp), I got so many contigs. To build a better genome and get more genes, I aligned the contigs to a related species genome using ABACAS, and filled the gaps using Gapfiller. Maybe the two species have some different regions in chromosomes, so in the result there are many Ns in the generated scaffolds (the same as the chromosomes number). So I want to break the scaffolds to contigs if there are more than 100 Ns between two continuous sequences. Because I am only a biologist and with on knowledge on scripts. Could anyone could indicate me which software or script works for my data? Many thanks.
    Best Wishes,
    yun

There are probably many ways. Using fastx toolkit plus unix should work. I think, but have not tried, the following

1) fasta_formatter to convert the contigs into single-line sequences
    2) sed -e 's/N{100,}/>/g'
    3) fastx_renamer
    4) (optional) fasta_formatter for more sensible line breaks

A short perl/python/ruby program would also work but that would require some level of programming.

What I gave above is just the bare-bones -- the idea -- and not the actual implementation which is left up to you.

Comment

Thank you very much. Finally I got a perl script for this purpose. I need to learn some programming skills, I am wondering perl or python is earier to learn, and try perl first. Anyway, Thanks.

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      There are probably many ways. Using fastx toolkit plus unix should work. I think, but have not tried, the following

1) fasta_formatter to convert the contigs into single-line sequences
      2) sed -e 's/N{100,}/>/g'
      3) fastx_renamer
      4) (optional) fasta_formatter for more sensible line breaks

A short perl/python/ruby program would also work but that would require some level of programming.

What I gave above is just the bare-bones -- the idea -- and not the actual implementation which is left up to you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses