SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent $1000 Genome!? Benchtop Ion Proton Sequencer aeonsim Ion Torrent 88 10-28-2012 05:50 AM
Anyone has protocol for Ion PES protocol? marcowanger Ion Torrent 1 01-18-2012 09:28 PM
ion torrent herrroaa Introductions 5 07-25-2011 06:36 AM
Introducing our Ion Torrent! nickloman Ion Torrent 34 05-26-2011 06:56 PM
Ion Torrent in Cambridge! asr Ion Torrent 6 03-17-2011 12:32 PM

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
PersianExcurzion

Default Ion Torrent Protocol?

I've been searching on the web and haven't been able to find an ion torrent protocol, let alone any details about the prep process. Other than it requires emPCR, I can't find much else.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks
PersianExcurzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
nickloman

The Ion Torrent online store has a bit of information you might find helpful:
http://www.appliedbiosystems.com/abs...=fl-iontorrent
nickloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
zhs

http://www.iontorrent.com/the-simple...ing-chemistry/ some basic chemistry and if you navigate round the site there are more info but its still very vague.
zhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
jason_a

Hi there,

I'd recommend registering for the Ion Community. Certain sections are only accessible by customers but the first area that you reach as a general user contains several videos that I think you would find informative, including a technology webinar and a customer presentation.

Best regards,
Jason Affourtit

Director, Field Applications Support
Ion Torrent
jason_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
PersianExcurzion

Thank you Jason. Ion Community is definitely a helpful tool. It answered many questions I still had.
PersianExcurzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
jason_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianExcurzion View Post
Thank you Jason. Ion Community is definitely a helpful tool. It answered many questions I still had.
You're quite welcome! We (and our customers) are adding material every day so please do check back!

Best regards,
Jason

Director, Field Applications Support
Ion Torrent
jason_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
aushev

I tried to register in Ion Community, but I still don't see anything useful. In the section "Documents", there is only 3 pdf available, with only some general information. Is there anything more detailed which is available for non-customers? (overall, it looks quite scant for all sections: "Discussions" - 0, "Blog Posts" - 0, etc. Ok, videos are nice - but it is nothing to have with protocol)
aushev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
IonTorrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushev View Post
I tried to register in Ion Community, but I still don't see anything useful. In the section "Documents", there is only 3 pdf available, with only some general information. Is there anything more detailed which is available for non-customers? (overall, it looks quite scant for all sections: "Discussions" - 0, "Blog Posts" - 0, etc. Ok, videos are nice - but it is nothing to have with protocol)
Hi aushev,

Certain portions of the site are limited to current PGM customers, including User Guides. If you're a customer and have not yet been granted full access please let us know and we'll take care of that right away.
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
aushev

thanks for the answer, but I am not the customer yet - I simply would like to know more in advance.
(To tell the truth, I see absolutely no sense in this kind of limitation of access to User Guides, if it is not top secret - finally, I can ask some colleagues who are already customers, to send it to me - it will just take more time)
aushev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
ECO
--Site Admin--

If only there were a non-restricted community of NGS users where people could share protocols....

Maybe someday...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
krobison

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonTorrent View Post
Hi aushev,

Certain portions of the site are limited to current PGM customers, including User Guides. If you're a customer and have not yet been granted full access please let us know and we'll take care of that right away.
Does anyone disagree with me that such a policy is stunningly shortsighted? Today's browsers are tomorrow's customers.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
GW_OK

You know I actually talked with Jonathan Rothberg at AGBT 2010, when the ion torrent was first being announced and unless I am misremembering the whole ethos of the company was going to be tinkerer-friendly towards reagents and code, with the major focus of the company being set on the selling of the chips. I can understand Life Tech (as formerly ABI) being all about the proprietarization (is that a word?) but you know if you really want the envelope pushed with your tech you need to let people start messing with it.
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
epistatic

Ion Community Home>Polls>Useful information release
Voting starts on May 9, 2011 12:00 AM

What would be the most useful information to be posted on the Ion Community?
Vote now: choose one
  1. Simplicity! Releasing the protocols for the kits will show how simple the entire process is.
  2. Science! Releasing the protocols for the kits will help develop more scientific applications of the PGM.
  3. Speed! Releasing the protocols for the kits will show how quickly I can get from sample to data.
  4. Data produced by the PGM! Showing how well the PGM sequences will support purchases.
  5. Nothing! Keeping information behind closed doors doesn't build a community
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistatic View Post
Ion Community Home>Polls>Useful information release
Voting starts on May 9, 2011 12:00 AM

What would be the most useful information to be posted on the Ion Community?
Vote now: choose one
  1. Simplicity! Releasing the protocols for the kits will show how simple the entire process is.
  2. Science! Releasing the protocols for the kits will help develop more scientific applications of the PGM.
  3. Speed! Releasing the protocols for the kits will show how quickly I can get from sample to data.
  4. Data produced by the PGM! Showing how well the PGM sequences will support purchases.
  5. Nothing! Keeping information behind closed doors doesn't build a community
Admirable next step, pretty funny that there is no option for ALL.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
estibalizolano

Default same here ...

I also would love to have the ionTorrent emPCR - moslty to compare methods and get an idea of what it really involves, equipment needed ... Anyway, I leave my e-mail address here in case someone can help with the protocol? [email protected]
THANKS
estibalizolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
ECO
--Site Admin--

NextGenSeq, I just received the following private message (and several emails) from Ion Torrent, so I had to take down the user protocols you just posted, sincerest apologies to you and anyone else who might be interested in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Torrent
Dear Eric,

We request that the following post be removed:

<url removed>

Ion Torrent is still in a rapid growth phase, and we expect our protocols to be continued to be enhanced in the coming weeks/months. We want to avoid confusion in the market place by having this exist as a permanent link on an external website.

Secondarily, posting of protocols on other websites is a direct violation of our terms and conditions.

Thank you for your help,
Ion Torrent
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
NextGenSeq

Wow, that was fast.

I guess they are concerned about other vendors making kits for their system.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
GW_OK

Like some big biotech couldn't get the protocols through back channels. What a jerk move.
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
epistatic

That limits the potential participants of the "grand challenge" to PGM users if you have no idea the protocols, data, etc. that you are working to improve. They need to post the baseline.
epistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
IonTorrent

Loving the lively discussion and input!

To clarify, all current PGM users, developers and Grand Challenge participants are able to access through the IonCommunity, every protocol, user guide, data set, and application note that we have released. The amount of user-generated content and user-inspired discussion threads on the Community also continues to grow. We really encourage users to check it out.

If you would like more details about the technology and our workflow, but don't fit the above bill, there are still several options for you to learn more about Ion:

1) Register for the IonCommunity, which provides a deeper level of content (e.g., videos, info on the Grand Challenges, and upcoming events and webinars) than what is available on our website

2) Contact your local Life Technology/Ion Torrent representative who will be more than happy to speak with you and find a way to get you the information/data you need

We've been scratching at being more open to the broader community (i.e., making the TMAP aligner source code available, disclosing our entire 2011 product roadmap with 316/318/OneTouch, etc.). Clearly, we can do better by all of you, and welcome the swift kick in the a$$ to get us there even faster.

-The Ion Torrent Team
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote