SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Covaris recovery ratio floor121 Illumina/Solexa 13 02-14-2013 04:56 AM
Transcript quantitation without a genome? MikeyG Bioinformatics 1 07-07-2011 04:31 PM
Library quantitation discrepancy genlyai Illumina/Solexa 1 04-15-2011 07:24 AM
Quantitation using DTX 800 Gillow General 1 04-21-2010 04:24 AM
qPCR quantitation ScottC Illumina/Solexa 8 07-10-2008 09:41 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
HMorrison
Senior Member
 
Location: Massachusetts

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Default Ionsphere recovery/quantitation

Original question was:
Page 22 of the Ion Express template user's guide gives sequences for 56-Fam and Cy5 primers to be used with the Qubit, but the sequences are B' and A, respectively--matching the earlier version of adapters. Why would the B' not have been changed to P' sequence? IT tech support says it would still work because it binds to the beads.

Last edited by HMorrison; 05-18-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: replacing content previously removed.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
IonTorrent
Member
 
Location: Guilford, CT and S.F., CA

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 64
Default

---------------------------

Last edited by IonTorrent; 05-17-2011 at 10:41 AM.
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
HMorrison
Senior Member
 
Location: Massachusetts

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Default

I was told that tech support's answer was correct and had posted the full answer, but some of it contained links to the Ion Community forum that aren't accessible unless the user is registered. While I suspect that anyone who participates in IT area of SeqAnswers can get there, Jason had asked me to remove the post. The SA moderator got into the discussion. So I'm reposting my question and a paraphrase of the answer w/o the URLs.

See the diagram on Page 2 of the April Performance update that's available on Ion Community site (not to be confused with Illumina's "Icom" site!). The information was included in a protocol update webinar in April; I just didn't remember it.

Last edited by HMorrison; 05-18-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: replacing content previously removed.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,352
Default

Ion, you will have a response to your PM this evening.

Needless to say, I do not feel it's the role of this site to selectively censor information that will help your broader userbase and potential customers.

But we can continue this discussion offline.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
krobison
Senior Member
 
Location: Boston area

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 747
Default

What's going on here??!?!?!?

It's good that SEQAnswers wants to be cooperative, but it is a public forum. If something is relevant & appropriate for this forum and is not libel or an act of someone disclosing clear trade secrets, then I strongly urge you to never remove the information.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
HMorrison
Senior Member
 
Location: Massachusetts

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Default

Krobison, I've replaced my part of the discussion after hearing feedback from both IT and ECO.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
NextGenSeq
Senior Member
 
Location: USA

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 482
Default

Ion Torrent is limiting their market by being so up tight about releasing any information. Their community website is far less informative than this site. Most people who do NGS will eventually have more than one type of sequencer and need a broader focus that's not limited to a single technology.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
HMorrison
Senior Member
 
Location: Massachusetts

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 116
Default Ion Community vs. SEQAnswers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGenSeq View Post
Ion Torrent is limiting their market by being so up tight about releasing any information. Their community website is far less informative than this site. Most people who do NGS will eventually have more than one type of sequencer and need a broader focus that's not limited to a single technology.
Yes--we have three different platforms (plus the old 3730XLs), which is why I prefer this forum to Ion Community. Plus I find it easier to navigate. Sorry, Jason.
HMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
IonTorrent
Member
 
Location: Guilford, CT and S.F., CA

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Appreciate the feedback, Hilary. It would be great to have specifics on how to enhance the IonCommunity to better meet your needs (please post here or e-mail/PM Jason). Is it too cluttered? Is there too much content to sift through?

While we appreciate the discussion here at SeqAnswers, the IonCommunity is the only place where we, as a company, can absolutely ensure that the most up to date, detailed protocols and replies to customer inquiries can be found. That's the primary reason for why it was created.

At the risk of having this final comment turn into a hilarious meme, we just want to say again that all of these comments and inquiries to date are spurring much internal discussion on how to better serve the broader community, so thanks, again, for the push!

-The Ion Torrent Team
IonTorrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
GW_OK
Senior Member
 
Location: Oklahoma

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonTorrent View Post
At the risk of having this final comment turn into a hilarious meme, we just want to say again that all of these comments and inquiries to date are spurring much internal discussion on how to better serve the broader community, so thanks, again, for the push!

-The Ion Torrent Team
Would you care to weigh in?
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
NextGenSeq
Senior Member
 
Location: USA

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonTorrent View Post
Appreciate the feedback, Hilary. It would be great to have specifics on how to enhance the IonCommunity to better meet your needs (please post here or e-mail/PM Jason). Is it too cluttered? Is there too much content to sift through?

While we appreciate the discussion here at SeqAnswers, the IonCommunity is the only place where we, as a company, can absolutely ensure that the most up to date, detailed protocols and replies to customer inquiries can be found. That's the primary reason for why it was created.

At the risk of having this final comment turn into a hilarious meme, we just want to say again that all of these comments and inquiries to date are spurring much internal discussion on how to better serve the broader community, so thanks, again, for the push!

-The Ion Torrent Team
I guess it's really difficult for Ion Torrent to post and update their protocols here?

I know Illumina also asks for pdfs to be taken down but don't you think people just PM each other and email them out?
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
krobison
Senior Member
 
Location: Boston area

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMorrison View Post
I was told that tech support's answer was correct and had posted the full answer, but some of it contained links to the Ion Community forum that aren't accessible unless the user is registered. While I suspect that anyone who participates in IT area of SeqAnswers can get there, Jason had asked me to remove the post. The SA moderator got into the discussion. So I'm reposting my question and a paraphrase of the answer w/o the URLs.

Not directed at the poster: STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

It is proper etiquette to label links which go through a paywall or registration wall as requiring registration; it is utterly idiotic to say that the links themselves are proprietary information. A wise organization would see this as users establishing what they need (much like the apocryphal university laying its walks out where the grass is worn out); a foolish one will see it as a threat.

If Ion is really worried about stale links, then establish a set of appropriate permalinks which the outside world can be encouraged to use but which are small neighborhoods within the site. That's like saying "Well, if you want to get to Carnegie Hall, go to New York City". Personally, I find the Ion site a persistent barrier to finding useful information; it is only when someone puts a link within a discussion somewhere that I can actually find anything.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
The_Dark_Base
Junior Member
 
Location: Cambridge, MA

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Why is IonTorrent given "Member" status and not a registered vendor? I like that vendors can post here, but don't feel like they should patrol the site, squashing out pretty normal discourse between NGS users...
The_Dark_Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
ECO
--Site Admin--
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Base View Post
Why is IonTorrent given "Member" status and not a registered vendor? I like that vendors can post here, but don't feel like they should patrol the site, squashing out pretty normal discourse between NGS users...
"Registered Vendor" is just a usergroup that has thread-starting permissions in the Vendor Forum (anyone can respond). Implies nothing other than the entity has requested permission to post there. That forum's intent was to keep overtly commercial posts segregated so they are easy to ignore for those who aren't interested.

Vendor posts that are pertinent to the discussion are still welcome outside of that forum.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO